One State/One Reading (USA)
United States of America
- Alabama: To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
- Arkansas: The Firm, John Grisham
- California: We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson
- Colorado: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ken Kesey
- Connecticut: The Hunger Games #3: Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
- Florida: Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Jeff Lindsay
- Hawaii: The Giver, Lois Lowry
- Illinois: The Martian Chronicles, Ray Bradbury
- Indiana: Cat's Cradle, Kurt Vonnegut
- Iowa: Selected Poems, Ted Kooser
- Kansas: Selected Poems, Gwendolyn Brooks
- Kentucky: All the King's Men, Robert Penn Warren
- Louisiana: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Truman Capote
- Maine: The Eyes of the Dragon, Stephen King
- Maryland: Black Hole, Charles Burns
- Massachusetts: William Wilson, Edgar Allan Poe
- Michigan: Little Nemo in Slumberland, Winsor McCay
- Minnesota: The Great Gatsby, Francis Scott Fitzgerald
- Mississippi: Cat On a Hot Tin Roof, Tennessee Williams
- Missouri: Selected Poems, Thomas Stearns Eliot
- Montana: Eragon, Christopher Paolini
- Nevada: In a Hundred Graves: A Basque Portrait, Robert Laxalt
- New Hampshire: Angels and Demons, Dan Brown
- New Jersey: SCUM Manifesto, Valerie Solanas
- New Mexico:
- New York: The River King, Alice Hoffman
- North Carolina: Selected Poems, Fred Chappel
- North Dakota:
- Ohio: I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, Harlan Ellison
- Oregon: Address Unknown, Kressmann Taylor
- Pennsylvania: The Lady or the Tiger?, Frank Richard Stockton
- Rhode Island: At the Mountains of Madness, Howard Phillips Lovecraft
- South Carolina: Neuromancer, William Gibson
- South Dakota: Who Moved My Cheese?, Spencer Johnson
- Tennessee: Memoirs of a Geisha, Arthur Golden
- Texas: Percy Jackson #2: The Sea of Monsters, Rick Riordan
- Utah: The Power of the Dog, Thomas Savage
- Virginia: The Bonfire of the Vanities, Tom Wolfe
- Washington: Dune, Frank Herbert
- West Virginia: A Separate Peace, John Knowles
- Wisconsin: The Turtle Warrior, Mary Relindes Ellis
- Wyoming: More Perfect than the Moon, Patricia MacLachlan
I want to know how wide I've read from the fifty states.
For each state, I will try to found a book I've read from an author born there.
Sometimes this is complex when an author has multiple nationalities. I will try to change the most polemic ones as I read from new authors...
I've read most of these in french language, but I wrote the titles in engligh (mostly the original title) for a better understanding.
The list is subject to change, I'll update as I discover or remember books.
I will put the ones I "prefer" from each state.
The updates are in highlight.
See also One Country/One Reading.