Science And Philosophy
- 1. SCIENCE MATTERS Robert M.Hazen & James Trefil
- 2. AN INTRODUCTION TO PHILOSOPHICAL ANALYSIS John Hospers
- 3. THE MIND OF GOD Paul Davies
- 4. THE PASSION OF THE WESTERN MIND Richard Tarnas
- 5. MODERN PHILOSOPHY Roger Scruton
- *** See also this list of mine ***
1. Not hard to read; informative on the basics.
2. Ditto. But I would not recommend the chapter on ethics, which should have been even-handed but instead favors one particular ethical theory (Ayn Rand's).
3. Not religious, despite the title. A scientist argues that the universe is structured around mathematics (no hard math in the book, though). It's also about how the Big Bang might have happened. A very good read for pop-science buffs.
4. A history of Western philosophy. A bit of a wade through, but very informative.
5. An excellent, if quirky, survey of modern philosophy. Not terribly difficult, but not for absolute beginners either.