Reasons why music today isn't as good as music of the past
Submitted by MasterSmurf on Thu, 07/17/2003 - 10:59
- This is in no way meant to offend anyone; everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. Including me. So these are my opinions and views on Popular music today. So, without further blabbering:
- -Everybody's about image: True, rockers and musicians of the past were big on image too, but honestly, even back then it wasn't near as bad as now. Nowadays you can land a career on looking good and faking your way through the musical part of being a musican. Or you can surround yourself in beautiful women and expensive cars and jewelry all masking the fact that you have little to no musical talent.
- -Nobody can come up with anything original: Either its all been done,(HIGHLY doubtful) or kids today just aren't trying too hard to come up with anything new. You even see little pop stars mimicing people as recent as Britney Spears. Marylin Manson wishes he was Alice Cooper, while Justin Timberlake tries as hard as he can to be Michael Jackson. What happened to really exiting new groundbreaking artists like pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin and Beatles and Elvis and way too many others to even go on. You hardly even hear a band now days with a unique sound. which brings me to my next point...
- -Everything sounds the same: Now, not literally, and I know this has always been around, but now it seems all these whiny punks who think thier badass all hit the same chords and scream about the same stuff in the same voice. And I can't even tell one rapper from another. They all follow the same formula: Girls, bling, cars, drugs, and why whitey hates me. Or in Eminem's case, why everyone hates him.
- -Videos: Seems bands and artists are far more worried about thier videos and looking good than sounding good and doing good shows. They shell out videos, focusing all thier energies on the videos, while thier concerts lack, musically and presentationally. What happened to legendary live shows like Pink Floyd, Kiss, Alice Cooper and Sabbath? You never hear about over-the-top exiting live shows any more. Why should they? They can waste thier time lip-syncing in thier Music Videos.
- -Songs have no meaning: GENERALLY. Every now and again you'll come across some good ones, but all in all, it just isn't heart-filled. Those pop girls can sing thier lungs out but it doesn't mean a darn thing if they didn't write thier songs. Then they guys who do write thier songs just whin about being a stupid kid or just make it sound as if they bought a rhyming dictionary and worked it out there. What happened to greats like Lennon/McArtney, John Fogerty, Freddie Mercury, Bob Dyaln, Bob Marley, and the boys from Led Zeppelin who wrote thier own songs and wailed thier hearts out into thier song?
- -No more good solos: Don't get me wrong, there are excellant jam bands out there I love. But you never hear about them. They only bands that get respect are the little Good Charlotte's and Blink 182's and pop stars and rappers that can't solo worth anything. Even rockers today are lacking in the skill. Back when, you hardly ever heard a song without a solo of some sort, and it more often that not was moving and good. Now, you don't. I saw a Justin Timberlake video where in place of the guitar solo, they gave Justin some time to beat-box, not too well either. Very sad really.