The New Critical Underground Guide to Films of 2001
- Shrek (Andrew Adamson, Vicky Jenson): **** 1/2
- 15 Minutes (John Herzfeld): *** 1/2
- The Pledge (Sean Penn): *** 1/2
- Spy Kids (Robert Rodriguez): *** 1/2
- Sugar & Spice (Francine McDougall): *** 1/2
- Angel Eyes (Luis Mandoki): ***
- Bridget Jones's Diary (Sharon Maguire): ***
- Enemy at the Gates (Jean-Jacques Annaud): ***
- Josie and the Pussycats (Harry Elfont, Deborah Kaplan): ***
- The Mexican (Gore Verbinski): ***
- Blow (Ted Demme): ** 1/2
- The Brothers (Gary Hardwick): ** 1/2
- Hannibal (Ridley Scott): ** 1/2
- Heartbreakers (David Mirkin): ** 1/2
- The Mummy Returns (Stephen Sommers): ** 1/2
- One Night at McCool's (Harald Zwart): ** 1/2
- Save the Last Dance (Thomas Carter): ** 1/2
- Antitrust (Peter Howitt): **
- Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles (Simon Wincer): **
- Driven (Renny Harlin): **
- Freddy Got Fingered (Tom Green): **
- Get Over It (Tommy O'Haver): **
- Monkeybone (Henry Selick): **
- Recess the Movie: School's Out: **
- Say It Isn't So (J.B. Rogers): **
- Town and Country (Peter Chelsom): **
- Along Came a Spider (Lee Tamahori): * 1/2
- Double Take (George Gallo): * 1/2
- Down to Earth (Chris Weitz, Paul Weitz): * 1/2
- Exit Wounds (Andrzej Bartkowiak): * 1/2
- The Forsaken (J.S. Cardone): * 1/2
- Head Over Heels (Mark Waters): * 1/2
- Joe Dirt (Dennie Gordon): * 1/2
- Just Visiting (Jean-Marie Poire): * 1/2
- Kingdom Come (Doug McHenry): * 1/2
- Pokemon 3 the Movie: Spell of the Unknown (Kunihiko Yuyama, Michael Haigney): * 1/2
- Saving Silverman (Dennis Dugan): * 1/2
- See Spot Run (John Whitesell): * 1/2
- Someone Like You (Tony Goldwyn): * 1/2
- Sweet November (Pat O'Connor): * 1/2
- 3000 Miles to Graceland (Demian Lichtenstein): * 1/2
- The Wedding Planner (Adam Schankman): * 1/2
- Tomcats (Gregory Poirer): *
- Valentine (Jamie Blanks): *
As decided by the New Critical Underground...
Our rating system:
***** - A masterpiece; these are rare.
**** 1/2 - An excellent work of art, good enough that even people who usually hate the genre or main artists involved will still probably enjoy it.
**** - A very good work; people who hate the genre / artists involved may not care for it, but almost anyone else will.
*** 1/2 - A fairly good work, but will probably only be embraced by fans of the genre / artist.
*** - A barely good work; only diehard fans need apply.
** 1/2 - An average work; probably won't excite even diehard fans.
** - A below average piece of art; non-fans will hate this work.
* 1/2 - A bad work that few people are likely to enjoy and many are likely to hate.
* - A truly awful work; nearly everybody will hate this.
1/2 - One of the worst works of art ever; like the 5 stars, these are also rare.