A guide to Filipino Cooking(The food of my father)
Submitted by marygabucan on Thu, 12/11/2003 - 03:22
- Bagoong-Stinky stinky shrimp paste.I did not find it as enjoyable as others do,the smell is repulsive.
- Sinigang-Boiled fish in a sour yummy vingary sauce accented with fish sauce and vegetables.So comforting and filling.
- Kinilaw-Freshest fish "cooked" by vinegar,salt,red peppers,onions and ginger.Wonderful salty sushi.
- Adobo-Any meat slow cooked in vinegar,soy sauce,garlic and bay leaf.The meat becomes so tender.Yummy yummy.
- Balut-This dish frightens me....Chicken embryos!
- Shopau-A Steamed Dumpling filled with pork,chicken,chinese sausage,egg,carrots and scallions.My favorite!
- Lechon-Roast Pork.It kicks ass.
- Puncit-A filipino's lo mein.The name slightly changes with the type of noodle, there are about 20 diffrent kinds of puncit I could make a list of puncit types!It is noodles with anything your little heart desires.My favorite is Puncit Bahon the most expensive one,Beef,lamb,pork and shrimp onions,and an incredible soy sauce tomato,creamy fish sauceor a asian pink alfredo sauce.WOW!
- Lumpia-Teeny tiny eggroll taquitos.I enjoy the ones with chinese sausage.
- Machado-Roasted Goat,salted with tomatoes,onions and green olives.To die for.
- Pandesol-a cross between cuban and sourdough bread.
This list will grow as I ask my dad the proper names of dishes.