Essential Albums: Double Albums
- 1.The Byrds/Untitled
- 2.The Clash/London Calling
- 3.Bob Dylan/Blonde on Blonde
- 4.Bob Dylan/The Basement Tapes
- 5.Husker Du/Zen Arcade
- 6.Nine Inch Nails/The Fragile
- 7.The Rolling Stones/Exile on Main Street
- 8.Smashing Pumpkins/Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
- 9.U2/Rattle and Hum
- 10.Frank Zappa/Freak Out!
OK, this was a bit difficult. Most double albums before the CD age fit on a single CD now, whereas a modern double album must be considerably longer. This certainly gives older double albums an advantage in consistancy; it's easier to make 16 or 18 songs gel, as opposed to 15 per disc. However, I threw a couple of the better CD ones in here, keeping in mind that they are not the equal of some of the older ones. I put these in alphabetical order, but if pushed, I think that "Exile on Main Street" is the best of all time, followed closely by "London Calling" and "Blonde on Blonde."