The Critical Underground Guide to Recent DVD Releases
- Last Tuesday:
- The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971): *** 1/2
- Attack of the Puppet People (1958): * 1/2
- Beautiful (2000): * 1/2
- Butterfly (1999): ****
- City of Women (1980): **
- Deepstar Six (1989): *
- Die Monster Die (1965): *
- Die Screaming Marianne (1970): *
- Don't Let Me Die on a Sunday (1999): ***
- Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972): ***
- Flesh Gordon 2 (1993): **
- Highlander: Endgame (2000): *
- Knight Moves (1992): ** 1/2
- Loulou (1980): ****
- The Man from Planet X (1951): ***
- The Passion of Ayn Rand (1999): ** 1/2
- 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould (1994): *****
- The Watcher (2000): ***
- Wild Angels (1966): ***
- Wonderland (1999): *** 1/2
- Next Tuesday:
- Alfie (1966): *** 1/2
- Bitter Sugar (1996): ** 1/2
- The Brain from Planet Arous (1958): ** 1/2
- Chushingura (AKA Forty Seven Ronin) (1962): *** 1/2
- The Contender (2000): *** 1/2
- The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover (1989): ****
- Demetrius & The Gladiators (1954): ** 1/2
- Do the Right Thing (1989): *****
- Dr. Strangelove (1964): *****
- Dracula Vs. Frankenstein (1971): *
- The Evening Star (1996): ** 1/2
- Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1984): **
- I Spit on Your Corpse (1974): 1/2
- In the Line of Fire (1993): **** 1/2
- In the Presence of Mine Enemies (1996): ***
- Leprechaun (1993): *
- Leprechaun 2 (1994): * 1/2
- Leprechaun 4: In Space (1996): **
- Lost Souls (2000): **
- Midnight (1934): **
- Navigator: A Time Travel Adventure (1988): ****
- The Original Kings of Comedy (2000): ****
- Rain (1932): ****
- Satan's Sadists (1969): 1/2
- The Shape of Things to Come (1936): ****
- The Silencer (1992): ** 1/2
- Tapeheads (1988): ***
- Terms of Endearment (1983): **** 1/2
- Tic Code (1998): ***
- Woman on Top (1999): ***
Our rating system:
***** - A masterpiece; these are rare.
**** 1/2 - An excellent work of art, good enough that even people who usually hate the genre or main artists involved will still probably enjoy it.
**** - A very good work; people who hate the genre / artists involved may not care for it, but almost anyone else will.
*** 1/2 - A fairly good work, but will probably only be embraced by fans of the genre / artist.
*** - A barely good work; only diehard fans need apply.
** 1/2 - An average work; probably won't excite even diehard fans.
** - A below average piece of art; non-fans will hate this work.
* 1/2 - A bad work that few people are likely to enjoy and many are likely to hate.
* - A truly awful work; nearly everybody will hate this.
1/2 - One of the worst works of art ever; like the 5 stars, these are also rare.
As decided by the Critical Underground...
These are rated solely on the quality of the film itself. No, I haven't seen every DVD above, so I cannot help with most questions of video / audio quality or extras. Sorry.