25 Most Overrated Bands of All Time
Submitted by bsd987 on Mon, 08/28/2006 - 10:38
- 25. Black Sabbath – I don’t know, their music just sucks.
- 24. Rolling Stones – Great band, but in no way do they deserve to even be considered the best of all time.
- 23. The Sex Pistols – This is one band I’ve never understood. They’re music sucked, they were only around for two years, and their bassist was known as Sid Vicious. This band has no redeeming qualities! NONE!
- 22. Wilco – Jeff Tweedy is in two great side projects: The Minus 5 and Golden Smog, neither of which he has a major role in. That said, Wilco is not that good. Summerteeth had the advantage of coming out in 1999 when all of music was dead. It wasn’t good.
- 21. The White Stripes - If it weren't for the fact that they're the only band to form in the last 7 years of any major significance that has talent, you wouldn't really know of them. They are pretty good, but the fact that there is nobody to compare them against inflates their value.
- 20. Sonic Youth - Experimentation does not immune a band from this category. They're hit or miss, and they miss about half the time.
- 19. Eagles - No band coming off a 12-14 year "vacation" deserves such hoorahs, especially when they had only released 1 1/2 good records previously.
- 18. Beach Boys - They became unpopular with age. They almost never had the material to back them up.
- 17. Counting Crows - They had a hit. They forgot to fizzle out. Now forget about them.
- 16. Neutral Milk Hotel - Lyrically, Jeff Mangum is a genius. Musically, he's not that good and almost every guitar rift is stolen. And considering Aeroplane is considered the ultimate indie album, they must be punished.
- 15. The Strokes - Living proof that the Brits cannot decipher good music from mediocre music regardless of whether it is an American band or a British band.
- 14. Guns N' Roses - Axl Rose is an anagram for Oral Sex. Guns N' Roses is a synonym for garbage.
- 13. Billy Joel - Piano Man and Scenes From an Italian Restaurant are good songs, but that's about it. Piano rock was never cool in my book.
- 12. Bruce Springsteen - Call me crazy, but why do people like him? What has he ever done? Well, other than writing "Because the Night" which Patti Smith morphed into one of the 20 best songs of the decade.
- 11. Bob Dylan - He's had some good songs, but come on. He's had only 2 good albums in the last 30-someodd years and he's still idolized by god knows how many people.
- 10. Any Britpop Band - Coldplay, Oasis, The Verve, etc.. These bands aren't that good, were never that good, and will never be that good.
- 9. Yo La Tengo - The ultimate critics band my ass. They're good, but in no way do they deserve half the hype they receive. So many indie people call them the best band ever. Yeah right.
- 8. Green Day - They were never good, releasing one album that was alright (Dookie) before reaching the point that they decided "Let's further destroy music and call it American Idiot at the same time!"
- 7. Led Zeppelin - They had some good songs, but Zep II and IV were horrible. "Stairway to Heaven" is mediocre at best.
- 6. Radiohead – The Bends was amazing. Then they tried to not make sense and became another over-sensationalized indie fucktard must-have. Plus, they stole their title from the Talking Heads. You better be good if you do that.
- 5. U2 - Let me first state that Joshua Tree is one of the worst albums of all time. Secondly, Achtung Baby is worse.
- 4. The Beatles - Oh come on, they really weren't that good.
- 3. Pink Floyd - Take away Syd Barrett and the "Wish You Were Here" album and you've got the #1 most overrated band of all time. Add those in and you drop to #3.
- 2. Pearl Jam - Don't make me defend this. I just really find Eddie Vedder annoying.
- 1. Nirvana - Yes, they were good, but Jesus would have forgotten them after In Utero had Cobain not committed suicide. They weren't that good.