2006 - Cream of the crop
- Listed alphabetically by original title, english title, director, country of production, year of production.
- Au-delà de la haine "Beyond Hatred" (Olivier Meyrou / France / 2005)
- Babooska (Tizza Covi, Rainer Frimmel / Austria, Italy / 2005)
- Caché Hidden (Michael Haneke / France, Austria, Germany, Italy / 2005)
- "...Es wird jemand kommen der ja zu mir sagt" "Ruth" (Michael Blume / Germany / 2006)
- In Between Days (So Yong Kim / USA, Canada / 2006)
- Kaalpurush "Memories in the Mist" (Buddhadev Dasgupta / India / 2005)
- La-bas Down There (Chantal Akerman / Belgium, France / 2006)
- Mizu no hana "Water Flower" (Yusuke Kinoshita / Japan / 2005)
- The New World [135min. version] (Terrence Malick / USA / 2005)
This list isn't simply a rehatch of the best "new" films I've seen in 2006, because what quality does best actually mean. It is a comparative term, that doesn't point to the fact if a film is even worthwhile. So my approach here is another.
All films listed are imo Great Films, that deserve to be remembered and watched by upcoming generations. Films that I would actually urge everybody to watch. They are either cinematically masterful, or innovative and daring, and are always a satisfying whole.
That is of course my personal opinion, and open to discussion.
This list can of course also serve as a best of 2006, but if it remains empty, that simply means I haven't encountered anything worthwhile. If it is crammed with films, don't try to reduce it to a Top Ten. It simply means it was a very strong year.