Submitted by julesyoung on Fri, 01/25/2008 - 03:00
- They started out as a straight pop group, and spent a couple of years touring and playing in English dance halls before making their way to Hamburg, Germany. In 1963, at the invitation of Brian Epstein, they were one of the support acts on The Beatles' Christmas shows at the Finsbury Park Astoria in London. In fact, they became one of the few acts to tour with both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.
- They first came to fame in 1964 with the number "Call Up the Groups". It overcame copyright restrictions and parodied a number of the leading pop groups of the time including The Searchers, Freddie and the Dreamers, The Dave Clark Five, The Bachelors, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles. The song imagined the various artists singing about being conscripted, or "called up" into the British Army. Actual conscription had ended a few years before. The single climbed to number 3 in the UK Singles Chart. As an example, the song "Bits and Pieces" by the The Dave Clark Five was parodied as "Boots and Blisters".
- In 1967 the group released the single "Lazy Fat People", a satirical song written by Pete Townshend of The Who.
- They achieved four other hits in the 1960s and 1970s. The Barron Knights continue to perform for a world-wide following, parodying other acts, including Pink Floyd.
- Some of the acts and songs parodied included Brotherhood of Man's "Save Your Kisses for Me" (as "Kippers For Tea") and "Angelo" (as "...Anne and Joe..."), as well as Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall", M's "Pop Muzik" (as "Chop Suey") and Supertramp's "The Logical Song" (as "The Topical Song").
CD’S THE BARRON KNIGHTS
- Barron Knights 1976
- Live In Trouble 1977
- Night Gallery 1978
- Knights Of Laughter 1979
- Teach The World To Laugh 1979
- Jesta Giggle 1980
- Twistin’ The Knights Away 1981
- Funny In The Head 1984
- Songs For Traffic Jams 1999
- The Best Of The Barron Knights 19 tracks 1993
- The Best Of The Barron Knights 16 tracks 1996
- Call up the Groups 1964
- Barron Knights 1966
- Scribed 1967
- 2 Sides of Barron Knights 1971
- Songs from Their Shows 1972
- Barron Knights 1973
- One Mans Meat 1973
- Odds & Favourites 1974
- Easy Listening 1981
- Barron Knights 1982