Listology Secret Santa 2003
Listology's first annual Secret Santa is underway! Here's the way it works...
- You e-mail me that you want to participate at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I will collect all the addresses between now and 11:59 PM 11/26 (see "extension" note below)
- I will e-mail all participants my snail mail address.
- You make a music mix on CD. Mixes should be WAV files rather than MP3s so you don't need an MP3-capable CD player to participate (it's true you'll need a player that can handle CD-Rs, but many can, even those that don't explicitly advertise being able to). Do not say who the mix is from (unless you really want to).
- Bring the mix and two mailers to the post office (or you can buy mailers at the post office). One mailer is self-addressed, the other is addressed to me. You put the CD in the self-addressed mailer, but don't seal it, and get the right postage on it. Then you put the CD and SASE mailer in the mailer addressed to me, and send it off.
Note that nobody but me will see your address, or even know you are participating (unless you include identifying information on the mix you create). Also, you don't have to worry about somebody not sending a CD because they have to send me one to forward on in order to get one!
This scheme works if non-US folks want to participate too. You'll just need to put enough postage on your SASE to get it (and the enclosed CD) from the US back to wherever you live (and enough postage to get it to me in the first place).
The downside is that everybody pays a bit more because you have to pay for two mailers and two postal trips instead of one, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.
I can provide some technical help for anybody that doesn't know how to rip tracks off of CDs they own, or how to burn a CD. Of course, you'll need to own or have access to a CD burner, but they're pretty cheap (I think I got mine for $40). And I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that are better at this than I am.
Finally, if you want to do a cassette intstead of the CD, go ahead an e-mail me, but tell me that's what you want to do. If two or more people go that route, great. Otherwise I'll let you know you're out of luck.