• Media Log 2014   30 min ago

Agreed, the whole thing is just incredible. There are many nuances in it that could be missed to the more casual listener. I love how each instrument is a character, a voice, and when listened to in that light, becomes even more powerful (and theatrical).

• Spam Patrol   5 hours 32 min ago

2014-10-05: 128 accounts
    2014-10-04: 175 accounts
    2014-10-03: 133 accounts
    2014-10-02: 159 accounts
    2014-10-01: 141 accounts
    2014-10-00: 000 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages

• Bipolar 2 (soft bipolar) - what it is, tips for dealing, famous people with it, my own experience, etc.   7 hours 2 min ago

Everyone has been telling me I had bipolar disorder for so long and I truly refused to believe it. I thought it was just my basic assholeness mixed with rage against all the injustices in the world. And so on. Whatever. So then I'm reading up on the Cranial Nerve 1 just now and I was like, think I really AM legitimately bipolar. Well, this one definition of cranial nerve 1 from source X states, "~ arises in bipolar olfactory neurons and are responsible for smell. The central axons project to the olfactory bulb via the cribiform plate of the ethmoid bone."[sic.]

I think there must be many sensory related bipolar neurons (for equilibrium maintenance or protection)

Does this sound ignorant? No idea. Just struck a chord.

Sorry to hear about the age 3-11 thing - sound rough. I'm cagey but that's largely environmental factors and my own volition mixed together, playing perpetual hide-and-go-seek or tag. I just want to read The Tooth of Crime with another actor, damnit

• Media Log 2014   7 hours 26 min ago

I know, I was just playing on the idea that Lost Hwy is so complex that it can't be understood. Not quite true, but it is among the most layered, profound films of all time as you're probably already aware.

• Media Log 2014   12 hours 25 min ago

I mean, understand its emotional significance.

• Media Log 2014   12 hours 56 min ago

I agree, that's a major aspect to it that separates it from so many imitations since.

"Understand" Lost Highway? ;-)

• The Greatest Non-Rock Albums (totally incomplete)   13 hours 39 min ago

That's a remarkable coincidence...

• Media Log 2014   16 hours 29 min ago

I agree with you, if it wasn't for Light My Fire the two would be almost equal.

BTW, another portion of Black Saint which I just remembered I love a lot: the last 2 minutes of the third track, where the frustration conveyed earlier is transformed into a reflection on the past and the track just...ascends to the heavens :D Something like that. It's truly melodic brilliance combined with intensity of emotion.

• Media Log 2014   16 hours 50 min ago

Yes it is. I thought it was great: the pacing is a bit slow at first (though I'm not sure if that was because it was the Extended Director's Cut) but when it picks up it becomes quite a disturbing/haunting film. An interesting thing about it is that it doesn't just focus on the supernatural horror, but the characters are also given importance, which adds a lot to the film in my opinion.

I'm watching Lost Highway now, hopefully I'll be able to understand that film more than I did on my first viewing XD

• The Greatest Non-Rock Albums (totally incomplete)   18 hours 32 min ago

That’s the guy from Fenn O’ Berg! I’ll definitely hear that album. Unit Structures is pretty good but I have not listened to it enough to know how good it is.

• Media Log 2014   22 hours 59 min ago

Is that your first time seeing The Exorcist? What did you think?

• Media Log 2014   1 day 2 hours ago

Strange Days is incredible. Maybe 8.8+ even. I really think Scaruffi will probably upgrade it to 8.5+ at some point. It's short tracks are equal to, maybe even better as a whole, than their debut's short tracks, and When the Music is Over is nearly as amazing as The End. Comparing the difference between the two basically comes down to how much one feels Light My Fire adds to the overall rating. LA Woman, Waiting for the Sun and the Live album are all excellent too.

• The Greatest Non-Rock Albums (totally incomplete)   1 day 2 hours ago

Unit Structures?

Also, a surprisingly accessible and moving glitch album you might want to check out: Endless Summer by Fennesz.

• Media Log 2014   1 day 3 hours ago

Haven't heard Ege Bamyasi in a long time but I remember liking Soup. Speaking of Soup, have you heard Ummagumma by Pink Floyd? (I've forgotten why but Soup reminded me of some track off Ummagumma)

• Media Log 2014   1 day 3 hours ago

I can see your point, considering the first three tracks and Light My Fire especially. If The Doors' second half was stronger, it would probably be 9.25 or higher.

I'm also getting interested in revisiting their other albums.

• Media Log 2014   1 day 4 hours ago

Do you dig Can’s Soup ? I’ve heard and liked my fair share of weird stuff but Soup still ruins the album for me after all these years. It irritates me. I would love to understand someday why they decided to release it.

• Media Log 2014   1 day 6 hours ago

The Doors is also a pretty damn good "sidekick" to Black Saint & The Sinner Lady. They're pretty much neck and neck in overall emotional significance and consistency until Black Saint surpasses it at some point, probably around or during the last 1/2 of the 4th track (I absolutely agree that is one of the most awe-inspiring, dizzying, invigorating sequences in all of music).

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   2 days 5 hours ago

i have been looking for this anime for a long time but cannot find it. i think it was called sky soldiers. it has floating islands that are being destroyed and a kid learns to fly in a wing suit. later he meets a girl building a plane and he starts to use it. eventually the find out it is a robotic fish that is destroying the islands. i cannot find it though

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   2 days 8 hours ago

In case it wasn't clear, I agree with you that Black Saint might as well be the greatest work of art in history, and 10/10 -- or -- "11/10". It's close enough for me that, as of today, I am still strongly considering upgrading it from 9.4/10 to 9.5/10. I re-listened to Shostakovich's 15th and Verdi's Requiem last night and it's a close call... very difficult to directly compare it to Shostakovich's 15th (which is pretty much its opposite) and Verdi's Requiem which is an hour and a half of emotionally devastating operatic vocals and sudden, furious climaxes the likes of which may never be matched. It's difficult to directly compare the overall degree of emotional significance I derive from each so I'm twiddling my thumbs a bit... Its climactic, relentless, dizzying fury might manage to just barely surpass those two -- maybe -- but probably not quite on the level of Mahler's 9th which might be 9.6/10.

For some reason it's not loading for me right now, but I'll try it later tonight. Sounds pretty interesting thats for sure.

• Songs based on Pachelbel's Canon   2 days 17 hours ago

It may be hard to hear, but it's definitely in chorus for Sign by FLOW.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   2 days 18 hours ago

Are you familiar with any multimedia? I've discovered this guy Aldo Tambellini, who did what in the early 60's they called "expanded cinema", the film genre side of what was then called mixed media (and then multimedia). He claims a large influence on Warhol's Exploding Plastic Inevitable shows with the Velvet Underground (I could elaborate later). Check this 1965-1966 "Black" series out, especially (if I remember correctly) "Blackout" (1965, but supposedly premiered in 1967, could be a typo): http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aldo+tambellini. If you could imagine being in a room with a huge screen or two of just this...so intense right?!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   3 days 11 hours ago

Well, I've been listening to it for about 12 years or so and it never loses its luster and never gets any less intense than that, so yes, you may have to develop a new echelon of ratings, "above" perfection/the ultimate ideal :-)

In my recent listens, it has been "making a case" that it might worthy of 9.5/10 and as high as #4 or maybe even #3 (on the greatest works of art list). Though that ratings benchmark is so exalted and incredible I have to be very sure before I add a work to it. Which leads me to: your only possible "antidote" to an obsession with Black Saint is probably to assimilate and experience works such as the ones I have rated above it. Black Saint is probably the summit of focused, vigorous intensity in all of art, so these won't match it there (except some of them in spurts), but they probably achieve a greater, overall emotional transcendence. Each of them are 11.1/10 I suppose :-)

Or, if you're looking for masterpieces that have similar drive/focused intensity, there's probably nothing that quite matches it, but the following might hold you over:

-5th Symphony - Beethoven ...make sure it's Karajan's, especially his 1975-77 symphony cycle (his 63 rendition is also incredible and any recordings of it during, say, the 63-77 period should suffice) ... Here's the (very) famous first movement, not sure if the rest exists on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGQW_54xwII
    -4th Symphony - Brahms ... it's emotionally despondent/searching in parts but also reaches herculean levels of "architectural" intensity (you'll get what I mean if you listen to it) ... the last movement in particular achieves a summit of emotional coalescence and climax that very few works of art have ever attained... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxB5vkZy7nM
    -Communications - Michael Mantler/Jazz Composer's Orchestra (1968) (aka "Jazz Composer's Orchestra - Michael Mantler") ...It's not quite as focused or compositionally perfect as Black Saint but it's not far off, and it reaches peaks that may never be surpassed (possibly including Sister Ray) ... I wouldn't be surprised if it slid into your #2 slot ahead of WL/WH...

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   3 days 16 hours ago

So I just listened to Black Saint and the Sinner Lady again as well. And I'm just stunned all over again. Especially because of the fourth track. The last few minutes in particular are like the most dizzying action sequence ever. How am I going to be able to listen to anything else now??

I think I'm gonna raise my rating from 10/10 to 11/10 :D

• Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists   5 days 11 hours ago

Angus should be way higher but Malcolm should be up there too, way under-rated, and way better than Richards, by his ( Keiths) own admission.