• 80's and 90's Children's TV Shows   9 hours 39 min ago

What about "Shining Time Station" ?

• Music Ratings & Notes   10 hours 23 min ago

In their defense, I think they did a much better and more tolerable "failed experiment" than many of the bands from the late 60's/early 70's. It's not a noisy mess, it's just very repetitive. The nihilistic vibe fits pretty nicely with the other songs. It doesn't completely ruin the album like Vergegenwartigung on Popol Vuh's Aguirre or Soup on Can's Ege Bamyasi (both are just completely unnecessary, overlong and irrelevent to their albums).

No Fun and Not Right are gloriously sick and powerful. The original 5 songs would've made an EP of the highest quality like You Made Me Realise .

• Media Log 2014   19 hours 14 min ago

Those two are good, thanks! I should explore jazz more deeply sometime.

• Music Ratings & Notes   19 hours 34 min ago

Oh, I get it now XD

You're right about that; and it's a nice experiment for the band. Pity it's slightly too long and the songs on the second side aren't nearly as great as 1969 and I Wanna Be Your Dog. I guess the album should've just consisted of the 5 songs which the band originally included.

• Lists of Note   23 hours 36 min ago

I truly revel in essentially perusing the greater part of your weblogs.

how to get retweets on twitter

• My 30 Favorite Songs of the Bubblegum Pop Era   23 hours 56 min ago

Thankf for posting this list. Gonna make a copy of it.. :D
    - how to get more likes on soundcloud

• Spam Patrol   2 days 2 hours ago

2014-10-04: 175 accounts
    2014-10-03: 133 accounts
    2014-10-02: 159 accounts
    2014-10-01: 141 accounts
    2014-10-00: 000 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages

• My Favorite Albums (8.25+/10)   2 days 12 hours ago

I listened to the original Bat Chain Puller today. Blew my mind. I think that it's one of his best albums. I wonder what your opinion on the album would be.

• Media Log 2014   3 days 2 hours ago

Isabelle Adjani's performance in Zulawski's Possession is the only one I'd probably rate above Dern's Inland Empire. It's so incredible it's difficult to believe what you're actually witnessing.

• Who's your favorite #1 DJ of all time? (DJ Mag)   3 days 9 hours ago

PvD
    Sasha
    Oakenfold
    Digweed
    Carl Cox
    Tiesto
    Armin van Buuren
    David Guetta
    Hardwell

• My Top 50 Albums   3 days 11 hours ago

Is that the Beach Boys' Smiley Smile or Brian Wilson's Smile or the Smile Sessions or ...?

• Media Log 2014   3 days 11 hours ago

The scene where she finally confronts the Phantom, oh man... I can never get that image out of my head. Yes quite possibly the most genuinely terrifying movie ever. Cathartic, too. As mentally devastating as it was, I got a really deep positive vibe as the film reached towards the end. The ending credits scene was totally fitting. Genius.

I feel like the movie is as much Dern's as it is Lynch's. I'm not a movie buff but I'd be really surprised to ever see someone perform better than her in Inland Empire.

I'm gonna watch it again tonight!

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 days 11 hours ago

So the album grew on you too! :) Even the weird songs work well in the context. I love the album's general mood. It's very sensitive yet totally robust... I gotta re-listen to it some time. It's been a while.

• What misscurly read in 2014...   3 days 13 hours ago

Faces in the Water

Fascinating, written from the perspective of the patient inside a mental institution. I particularly liked how the writing described her state of mind, progressing from tangential and grandiose, unintelligible at times to a clear chronology of events occurring and recognition of the suffering of both herself and the other inpatients.

• What misscurly read in 2014...   3 days 13 hours ago

# 46! Goal exceeded for this year!!

Finnish Girl

A relatively short book, perhaps too ambitious for the length. The author attempted to cram in explanations of several major political events along with a richly detailed and confusing family history presented in multiple viewpoints and generations. Understandably, the story felt disjointed and the thread of plot was difficult to follow when overshadowed by other elements. This style of writing (beginning with one narrator, then switching to another and another) can be extremely effective, but the difficult task of demonstrating the interconnectedness of those tales was lacking.

Encapsulated, it is the story of Lempi's life from childhood through to her death. It is the story of a first-generation American, a child of Finnish immigrants who settled in rural Wisconsin. It is also the story of her parents, her brothers, her husband, and her child. The novel could also be seen as commentary on the heredity of mental health issues, and a chronological explanation of political unrest including the Red Scare and anti-war movements. Oh, and also a look at life in Stalinist USSR.

There were also several proofreading errors, which really jars the fluidity of the story (at least for me).

• What misscurly read in 2014...   3 days 13 hours ago

Sinner

Fantastic story set in medieval Scotland, very reminiscent of The Master and Margarita, in which the devil takes the guise of a friend, and convinces the main character to commit worse and worse acts.
    In this case, the devil befriends the second (illegitimate) son of a Laird, who eventually kills his brother and parents and assumes ownership of the family holdings, only to be undone by deceit.

• What misscurly read in 2014...   3 days 13 hours ago

Burger's Daughter

Experimentally written perspective of Rose-Marie Burger, daughter of Communists who fought against the Aparthied in South America. Someone else (on Goodreads) stated it well, that this has a "complete lack of book-bound solutions for book-invoked problems". It seems like an honest description of the choice each person made during the Aparthied, to participate or not, to stand up or not.

And really, how can the solution for such a complex real-world problem be dealt with within the confines of a novel?

• What misscurly read in 2014...   3 days 13 hours ago

Glass Bead Game

I've spent a great deal of time reading this novel, and I still cannot conclusively explain what it is about, or more importantly: what the glass bead game is.
    I can explain elements of the game; symbols used to describe concepts within various academic fields, transcribed onto glass beads. Why would you do it? Operating under the assumption there is one "answer" to the universe, linking unrelated disciplines would bring one closer to that universal answer. It would also spark advances within each of those disciplines. The competition would come in a chess-like turn-taking to get from the starting tenet to the end. Except, in the world of the story, the game he become so ritualized that the pathway from start to finish is already laid out before the players begin. There are no players taking turns at a puzzle; The Master simply transcribes the symbols, and the spectators ooh and ahh. The elite players explain there is no universal truth; so why are they trying to compare the essentially incomparable? The game becomes a symbol itself for the stagnated world of Castalia, where nothing new is created, only pointlessly repeated for the sake of preservation. This central and essential concept is never fully fleshed out, much to the detriment of the story. Without a meatier explanation of why their world has become so ritualized, we are left with the posthumous story of Joseph Knecht and his meteoric ascent to Master of the game, a position which he resigns on learning of its vapidness, then goes away and dies quietly. (This nugget of plot being hidden amongst hundreds of pages of descriptive blather)
    If Hesse's intention was to leave so much unexplained, he could have written a much shorter book

• Media Log 2014   3 days 21 hours ago

I agree, Inland Empire is possibly the most genuinely terrifying film ever made. There might be films that get more cheap "frights" and "jumps" on the first viewing, but I've seen Inland Empire several times, and it is never less than deeply unsettling. Really puts you up close and inside Dern's character (greatest acting performance in screen history?)

• Who's your favorite #1 DJ of all time? (DJ Mag)   3 days 22 hours ago

Rank them in order in the comments section. Here's mine:
    1.) Sasha
    2.) John Digweed
    3.) Paul van Dyk
    4.) Tiesto
    5.) Armin van Buuren
    6.) Carl Cox
    7.) Paul Oakenfold
    8.) Hardwell
    9.) David Guetta

• Media Log 2014   3 days 22 hours ago

I have. Love the live album. The studio album does remind me of Soup in its self-indulgent childishness.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   4 days 1 hour ago

Wow, thanks for sharing those. Very impressive! Space Oddity is probably my favorite rendition of the group.

• Media Log 2014   4 days 8 hours ago

I love (love love) me some Mingus and Coltrane, but for a different spin on jazz, have you heard Bix Beiderbecke? I'm Comin', Virginia is rightfully regarded as a masterpiece, and is a great track to begin with, but listen to how haunting the cornet is, with its flexibility and dexterity, in I'll be Your Friend With Pleasure. Sublime. A great tragedy he died before reaching 30.

• Media Log 2014   4 days 12 hours ago

Some of Lynch's movies remind me of psychedelic music. A good way for me to undersand them is to stop analyzing them beyond a certain point or else they will make no sense. When taken out of the visual/aural context, Lost Highway's story is as meaningless as Sister Ray's lyrics.

I saw Inland Empire last week. You gotta see that one. It's weirded than Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive combined. Some of its scenes scared the living crap out of me! :D

• Media Log 2014   4 days 12 hours ago

No problem :-) Yep, Memento does parallel it quite a bit. My main reservation is visually it doesn't quite evoke the strange, expressionist "world" of Good, but the psychology of Memento's protagonist gets it pretty darn close -- especially those last few tracks and Memento's ending as you've pointed out. Point Blank is a key precursor to Memento which gets it a bit closer (including visually and even more so on the psychology), though I am all over the place with regards to which album Point Blank might best correlate to -- as far apart as Pop Group's Y, all the way over to Neu! and Good and Millions Now Living Will Never Die... Some of that uncertainty is that I haven't watched the film in over a year...

Yes, Lost Hwy is very unsettling and oppressive indeed, and good on the Good comparisons. Good movie too. I'll stop now... for good ;-)

Seriously though, I go back and forth more than almost any other film, as to which album Lost Hwy most resembles (maybe none of them?). Faust seems the most likely, but I do think it parallels Good, even VU & Nico, and maybe even White Light/White Heat, Suicide, and even Neu!, and hell, while we're at it, even The Doors debut -- each in varying ways and to varying degrees. How it seems to parallel -- to greater or lesser degree -- each of those, even though none of those albums are particularly similar? I have no idea. Part of it depends on how I am interpreting/understanding the film as I am watching it.