• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 hours 35 min ago

Right on, thank you. I hope it's the real deal. Ill listen to it. Do you think its worthy of their best work?

Also, it would be great to have your opinions/lists/insight around more often :-)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 hours 32 min ago

Some random dude on rym just sent me a link to a supposed unreleased album by Vampire Rodents. I'm not sure if it's legit, but, at the very least, it is interesting and highly characteristic of their signature style. Though you might be interested.

• Greatest Music Videos (in chronological order)   9 hours 42 min ago

Well I'm not sure if artistic is the right word, but I think their video for "I Wont Let You Down" is pretty mindblowing

• Greatest Music Videos (in chronological order)   17 hours 3 min ago

Thanks. I'm familiar with Cyriak, I remember liking him. I'll look into that video and perhaps the other music videos he has made.

I think I saw one video by OK Go, which I decided not to put on this list. What do you consider to be their most artistic videos?

• Greatest Music Videos (in chronological order)   17 hours 3 min ago

The Breakaway video is really impressive. The way it is done, with the fast cutting and everything, makes it look like both Toni Basil and the film itself are dancing together (wildly). The part at the end where it goes backwards is a nice twist, even though in the end I might prefer the forwards part.
    The other ones are maybe a bit too gimmicky for me, though. They take an interesting idea, but don't really explore it in depth.

• Best movies (that I've seen)   22 hours 42 min ago

Cool, makes sense. Still hope you change it some day, though I do understand your reasoning :-)

• Best movies (that I've seen)   22 hours 53 min ago

For the same reason I do it for some of my music lists: variety. I think it's a good way to showcase some lesser known directors, as opposed to having five entries each for all the great directors (although I guess most directors on this list are pretty well-known). I would agree with you, however, that it's not the best strategy for an accurate list. But then I guess accuracy wasn't really what I was going for, as I mentioned in another comment I put this list together pretty hastily.

Honestly I've watched very little film in the past year or two so I'm not sure my opinions would be up to date, even if I were to make a more inclusive list.

• Best movies (that I've seen)   23 hours 36 min ago

Love pretty much everything on here and (at a glance) I'd rate all of them 7/10 or higher -- so no qualms with what you have listed, but why 1 movie per director? It forces the omission of several of the greatest films ever made (if you've seen them). For instance, with Welles one is forced to omit Citizen Kane or Touch of Evil, both of which are far more extraordinary than most of what's listed. Or with Tarkovksy... Etc. All 7 of Tarkovsky's films are more extraordinary than some selections, and 5 of 7 are more extraordinary than most (even though they're fine selections). Do you agree/disagree?

• Greatest Music Videos (in chronological order)   1 day 57 min ago

I recommend the music video for Bonobo's Cirrus. It's done by Cyriak, who if you don't know is one of the creative (weirdest) video artists out there.

Also don't forget about OK Go, they've consistently released some of the coolest music videos ever.

• Alberto Manguel's Non-Canonical List of Favorite Books   1 day 1 hour ago

A wonderful list full of great suggestions. Thanks for publishing it!

• Best movies (that I've seen)   1 day 6 hours ago

This list was pretty hastily put together. Looking back, I probably would change that. In my defense they have made a lot of really good movies. Miller's Crossing, Inside Llewyn Davis and Fargo are all worth checking out. The Big Lebowski is a classic.

• Greatest Music Videos (in chronological order)   1 day 19 hours ago

I would be too. I might start in on this when I finish/come to a good point on my Nostalghia analysis, among some other mini-projects.

• Best movies (that I've seen)   1 day 20 hours ago

Isn't your favourite Coen movie Miller's Crossing according to the list? I personally think The Big Lebowski (only Coen movie I've seen besides No Country for Old Men) is a better film, but still agree with you that No Country for Old Men is a masterpiece.

• Best movies (that I've seen)   2 days 7 hours ago

The book is good, although probably not one of his best. The movie is a masterpiece. Easily my favorite Coen brother's movie. I can't think of many movies that are able to sustain that level of tension from start to finish--the film-making is superb.

• Greatest Music Videos (in chronological order)   2 days 10 hours ago

I'd be interested to know what you think of them all.

• Best movies (that I've seen)   2 days 10 hours ago

Speaking of Cormac McCarthy, what do you think of No Country for Old Men (the book and the movie)?

• Greatest Music Videos (in chronological order)   2 days 12 hours ago

Thanks. Although most probably won't make this list, suggestions are definitely appreciated. Especially the obscure ones like Breakaway can be useful, because they're difficult to find. I have to rewatch them some more to know whether they should be on my list, but Breakaway has perhaps the biggest chance of making it.

• Greatest Music Videos (in chronological order)   3 days 14 hours ago

Suggestions:
    Breakaway - Toni Basil
    Smack My Bitch Up - The Prodigy
    Just - Radiohead
    Windowlicker - Aphex Twin

After 2000:
    Without Me - Eminem
    Burn the Witch - Radiohead
    Up&Up - Coldplay

I don't really know that many videos though. I haven't even watched most of those on this list.

• Greatest Music Videos (in chronological order)   4 days 10 hours ago

I'm curious whether you can find any recent videos that are worthwile. As you can see my list stops at 2000, because I couldn't find anything good enough after that.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 days 19 hours ago

Sweet, thanks :-)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 days 19 hours ago

Yeah 7/10's (upbeat/optimistic too).

• Favorite Rock Albums (Eclectic)   4 days 20 hours ago

Thank you for the explanation. It's had dips for me over the years too, but always seems to come back. It is just so indelible and timeless -- nothing really like it, such a "lightning in a bottle", impossible to replicate.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 days 20 hours ago

Awesome! No, I haven't heard it but Ill definitely check it out. By "lower reaches of pop list" I assume you mean the 7/10s, not 7.3 (which is where all my other lists end)?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 days 20 hours ago

Have you heard the Dictators' "Go Girl Crazy" (1975)? IMO it's as good or better than some of the power pop/punk pop you seem to be listening to lately. It replaces some of the enthusiasm of those albums with a detached parody sensibility, but not all of the time, and anyway it has a lot of enthusiasm for the parody itself so it's comparable. I think it's better than Rocket to Russia and (surprising myself on my last 2 listens) even Dookie and that it would make the lower reaches of your Pop list if you haven't heard it. I think the highlights are The Next Big Thing, Master Race Rock, and Two Tub Man, the rest of the album being hysterical reinterpretations of what Christgau called "circa-1965 California teendom at its dumbest" albeit smart. If you're not familiar: legendary hilarious proto-punk band that introduced "junk culture" to rock music and influenced the Ramones (and the Beastie Boys) and whose personalities Punk magazine was based on.

• Greatest Music Videos (in chronological order)   4 days 22 hours ago

I like this idea for a list. Might be tempting to give it a shot at some point.