• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   6 hours 13 min ago

LA Blues is an awesome burst of crazed, free form violence. I'm not sure what Id rate it but its not enough for 7.3+. There are much better (or, perhaps just longer) free form-esque violent tracks, namely in the world of jazz.

Radio Ethiopia is much more significant (to me) due to the evocative and emotional evolution of each of its parts. Her voice goes through several stages of disgust and witch-like incantations, the guitars play in "turntable like" frenzy amongst other thrusting rhythms and spasms encircling the song in a polyrhythmic cohesion with her vocals (could be likened to a witch casting her spell over and over). Its instrumental elements keep elevating her vocals into increasing depths of shamanistic violence until the song breaks into a state of metaphysical, descending struggle, an elongated death scene.

The track Radio Ethiopia/Abyssinia is anywhere between 7.5/10 and 7.8/10, while LA Blues is unlikely to be given much consideration for my songs/tracks list (as long as it remains a cut off point of 7.3/10)

• Favorite Rock Albums   6 hours 33 min ago

Great list! So many of my favorites. What makes Spiderland your #1?

Do you know that your other lists dont allow comments?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   12 hours 15 min ago

What do you think of the Stooges "L.A. Blues" viz a viz Patti Smith's "Radio Ethiopia"?

• Most Comedic Depth (Film)   21 hours 21 min ago

Yeah, that's a great choice. Holy Grail too. I need to revisit them but both should probably get on here.

• Most Comedic Depth (Film)   1 day 6 hours ago

Life of Brain had so much comedic depth that I completely drowned halfway through it.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 12 hours ago

Thanks, Ill have to check that out. Another Bley collaboration, always a good sign :-)

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 15 hours ago

Liberation Music Orchestra is great, but I personally prefer Dream Keeper. Haden's bass playing is hypnotic and the melodies are unforgettable. I find myself humming the music even though I haven't heard the album in months.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   3 days 7 hours ago

I can see why you might consider them self-indulgent. Bley and Zappa have composed at least equally elaborate and complexly organized compositions as the artists you named. They're all pretty much in the same class to these ears. Bley's works still sound completely revolutionary, even if that revolution hasn't caught on too much and is still ahead of its time (in other words, I think we agree that she didn't really achieve widespread influence...). Few are aware that she beat Davis to the punch by 2 years with regards to jazz-rock fusions (Genuine Tong Funeral). Escalator Over the Hill far surpassed even Mingus' greatest ambitions (doesn't mean it's "better" than Black Saint) in matching/surpassing the compositional audacity, scope and emotional outpouring of the greatest classical works. I'm really glad you're digging Liberation Music Orchestra. Another one of Bley's greatest contributions.

• Movies I'm waiting for on Netflix/TV/somewhere   4 days 1 hour ago

I have lots of lists of films I'm planning to see at one time or another (mostly another). This is just all those lists combined, making it easier for me to search while reading tv programs or new additions to Netflix.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   4 days 1 hour ago

It works! Thanks. And yes, I'm from "outside the US". I'd say Bley (and Zappa) is an acquired taste for someone without much knowledge and interest in avant-jazz and polystylism. On the other hand, they can sound rather simple and self-indulgent (specially Zappa) compared to Coltrane, Coleman, Mingus, Beefheart, VU, Monk, Davis and quite a few other experimental musicians who shaped the future of jazz and rock with their best work. Considering the bigger picture, I think they found and developed their own specific niches rather than being musical leaders whose work could achieve widespread influence and fundamentally-redefine future music in the sense of structure and purpose. I have to say I'll probably end up agreeing with you about Liberation Music Orchestra deserving a place on my list though. I'm listening to it right now. It's a really amazing piece of work.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   4 days 4 hours ago

Maybe you get something different where your from (outside the US?), but the links work fine from my end. Here it is on Tidido.com: http://tidido.com/a35184372148665/al54071a53196deee83f8df3dd

Hopefully it works, but if not, oh well...

Yes, Bley (and Zappa) is certainly an acquired taste...

• The Greatest Albums Ever   4 days 5 hours ago

Man this is taking too long to find. Apparently the YouTube link doesn't work and Tidido doesn't have that album but has others (great website btw, thanks for letting me know about it). So far I've liked like all the stuff I've heard by Charlie Haden. Hope I find Liberation Music Orchestra soon.

About your reference points: I dig Even the Sounds Shine a lot. Carla Bley on the other hand has never been one of my favorite artists, although I acknowledge her as a great composer in her own right. Escalator leaves me a bit cold the way a lot Zappa's albums do. Both have a knack for implementing small ideas on grand scales, resulting in music that constantly sounds a bit impersonal (specially in Zappa's case) despite all the different dynamics and stylistic fusions and whatnot. Credit is due for being among the very first to do this kind of polystylism, but not for being the best at it.

• Movies I'm waiting for on Netflix/TV/somewhere   4 days 8 hours ago

Well, that's just no fair!

• Movies I'm waiting for on Netflix/TV/somewhere   4 days 8 hours ago

Netflix doesn't have a DVD delivery service where I live. I suspect some of these movies are available on either Youtube or the Internet Archive, I haven't looked through there yet.

• Movies I'm waiting for on Netflix/TV/somewhere   4 days 8 hours ago

The Quite Duel is on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVZRkhInBaE I just watched a few days ago.

• Movies I'm waiting for on Netflix/TV/somewhere   4 days 8 hours ago

This is why I subscribe to the DVD delivery service. Many of these titles are available there. I caught myself thinking "I own that, I own that" and then realized that won't do YOU any good!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   6 days 8 hours ago

Re: # listens ... It varies from work to work. I often rate something pretty immediately and then it could change a few times after some more listens before settling into a rating that is more stable.

Often I'm accurate or very close after the first listen or two but of course there are exceptions, particularly with longer, denser albums or especially challenging/unique ones.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   6 days 9 hours ago

Makes sense, thanks

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   6 days 9 hours ago

I might only post one with an average rating between highest and lowest potential if I were uncertain (such as a completely new rating) -- and I do that from time to time after first listens of albums/songs. Generally speaking though, I am absurdly meticulous and the ratings are intended to be very exact, not at all placed where they are by accident or rough averages.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   6 days 10 hours ago

Say you bumped something up from 7.5 to 7.6...would that mean that there have been many recent listens at 7.7+ (averaging down to 7.6 given the long-standing 7.5)..or does it mean a WHOLE LOT of listens at an actual 7.6?

• Fave literature   1 week 2 days ago

Maybe, maybe not. It's not my priority right now but maybe I'll get into it at a later point.

Relative completeness ... in other words: when I feel more complete about my lists and they're all caught up to a satisfactory degree. Not an illusion really, but maybe the idea of reading all those novels and poetry would be for me...

• Top 200 critically acclaimed movies from the last 5 years   1 week 2 days ago

Update 26/4-16:
    Out Don Jon - In The Jungle Book
    Out Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me - In Sing Street

Update 18/4-16:
    Out The End of the Tour - In Captain America: Civil War

Update 14/4-16:
    Out 45 Years - In Victoria
    Out Frances Ha - In Zootopia

Update 1/4-16:
    Out Furious 7 - In Marguerite
    Out Mississippi Grind - In Remember

Update 26/2-16:
    Out Seymour: An Introduction - In Embrace of the Serpent ("El abrazo de la serpiente")
    Out Side By Side - In A War ("Krigen")

Update 16/1-16:

Out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - In Bless Me, Ultima
    Out Footnote - In Cloud Atlas
    Out The Guard - In Prometheus
    Out Monsieur Lazhar - In Searching for Sugar Man
    Out Martha Marcy May Marlene - In Under the Skin
    Out 50/50 - In Goodnight Mommy
    Out Shame - In We Are the Best!
    Out Margaret - In Into the Woods

Out The Interrupters - In Spy

Update 3/12-15:
    Out Locke - In Creed
    Out X-Men: Days of Future Past - In The Danish Girl
    Out Blancanieves - In Bridge of Spies
    Out Good Kill - In Carol
    Out Joe - In Son of Saul ("Saul Fia")

Update 28/11-15:
    Out 99 Homes - In Spotlight
    Out Parkland - In Brooklyn
    Out Tracks - In A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence ("En duva satt på en gren och funderade på tillvaron")

Update 5/11-15:
    Out A Hijacking ("Kapringen") - In Steve Jobs
    Out The Lunchbox ("Dabba") - In Room

Update 28/10-15:
    Out Into the Abyss - In Beasts of No Nation

Update 10/10-15:
    Out Bless Me, Ultima - In Sicario
    Out Cloud Atlas - In The Martian
    Out Prometheus - In MacBeth

Update 14/09-15:
    Out Searching for Sugar Man - In Straight Outta Compton

• Fave literature   1 week 3 days ago

Meaning you'll never do it because relative completeness is an illusion.

• Criteria Used For Evaluating Artistic Merit in Music   1 week 3 days ago

Aha! Thanks :-)

• Criteria Used For Evaluating Artistic Merit in Music   1 week 3 days ago

some more grammar stuff, clearer on conceptual breadth v. depth, added the idea (at least) of replacing communication with "speech" (something which doesn't require clarity from the artist), and the small point that album structural elements require my perception of intentional use (not just an automatic "plus .5 for both album sides having aberrational slow blues songs on track three!")