• Spam Patrol   9 hours 53 min ago

2014-12-07: 008 accounts
    2014-12-06: 000 accounts
    2014-12-05: 004 accounts
    2014-12-04: 002 accounts
    2014-12-03: 081 accounts, 03 comments, 03 pages
    2014-12-01: 011 accounts, 04 comments

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   11 hours 24 min ago

Oh man, I've listened to it several times over the last couple days. Amazing album. Thanks :)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   11 hours 42 min ago

Glad you enjoy the Richard Dawson record as much as me!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   11 hours 48 min ago

I've found the first half on youtube (as you've referred) and am listening to it now. I'll consider your options if I can't find the 2nd half. Thanks :-)

• Favorite Videogames   15 hours 9 min ago

HexNash, I didn't know you were in to video games! Nice to others take it as a serious art. Yeah, I've heard many good things about Mother 3, but I wanted to play EarthBound first. I'll definitely put it on my "to do" list.

• Favorite Videogames   16 hours 2 min ago

Mother 3 is the most emotionally powerful game I've ever played. I don't know what it is about it, but it hits me like a brick.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   17 hours 31 min ago
  • Booklog 2014   18 hours 16 min ago

I've read the first three of Walking Dead, great read.

• Music Log 2013-2014   21 hours 33 min ago

I agree with everything you said. Me rating Beetovens 9th or The Sistine Chapel or Citizen Kane the highest is an attempt to quantify their expression of compelling, emotional depth (according to my own experience of it) but certainly doesn't mean every single time I listen/view/watch those works of art, they are my "absolute favorite". Hence my "Top 10 of the week" lists. However it would indicate that those attained a peak of "awe" for me that is higher than any other work, and that a majority of the time I favor them over everything else ranked lower. But as one gets closer, that gap lessens. For instance, I might favor Beethovens 9th just barely over 50% of the time to Mahlers 9th, maybe like 55% of the time to Black Saint or Shostakovichs 15th, and so on (just rough approximations). I'm on my phone here, so I hope that came across... I think it basically says "we agree". Just with maybe somewhat different presentations of pretty similar qualifications?

Re: Rating detracting from the experience itself... I would agree wholeheartedly if the rating was an attempt at being "objective" but I haven't personally found that to be the case when I am essentially just saying how much I liked/loved the work.

• Music Log 2013-2014   22 hours 18 min ago

I think the only real difference in our approach is illustrated in the 1st paragraph of your post:

"...measure my "degree of amazement", which tends to lean towards "what degree said emotional content was expressed and how compelling was that expression"..."

The idea, or act, of measuring "amazement", "awe" or any form of beauty in degrees seems to take away from the experience of the work itself (based on personal history, I'm not assuming that is true for anyone else). Those experiences are ephemeral and never the same twice. Not that I haven't obsessed over ratings in the past; although, I realize now that I was simply trying to validate those extraordinary, singular experiences by differentiating them from prosiac experience.

"Further note: there seems to be an unmistakable "emotional depth" that the most singular works of art possess"

I agree, however "emotional depth" is a slippery concept, especially when it comes to viewing it as a defined and measurable quantity. It's pretty easy to differentiate the experience of watching Iron Man 3 from Zerkalo, but once I get into that upper echeleon (anything above mediocre really), any sort of comparative rankings become meaningless to me.

Getting further into ambient, electronic and drone music has changed my approach to music somewhat. The timbre of a single note or chord, the space it creates, the color and texture of sound itself are what really get me off. In the end, as you said, it is about emotional depth; but the emotions are my own, not the artist's, reflected back at me.

How to quantify that, I really don't know.

• Favourite Videogames   22 hours 37 min ago

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   23 hours 18 min ago

FYI, Through Time and Mystery has been out of print since the 1980's & has never got a CD reissue. I have uploaded it here. If you're against unauthorized downloading (though in cases such these where the community is completely cut off from a great work of art I'm not sure why you would be). But if you are, you might be able to obtain a copy (perhaps a CD-R) by emailing the artist himself on his website. Another good way to contact him would be through his Facebook page. The vinyls are getting hard to find. I haven't seen any on eBay in a while. Half of the album has been uploaded to YouTube here. I hope you eventually listen to the album. HexNash would agree that it really is worth it.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 day 9 min ago

Thanks Ill add that!

• Greatest Albums Extended List [rated 7.8/10+] (in progress)   1 day 51 min ago

Whoops! Thanks :-)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 day 1 hour ago

I second the Peter Frohmader album; it's absolutely incredible.
    Also listen to Ives' Concord piano sonata (no.2) in addition to his 4th symphony.

• Greatest Albums Extended List [rated 7.8/10+] (in progress)   1 day 5 hours ago

Don't forget Hex man

• Music Log 2013-2014   1 day 9 hours ago

Watch this for an up close demonstration of David Thomas Broughton's talent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09kkJWjMvHY

The coordination while singing with such a controlled beauty and amidst such introversion is altogether extraordinary...

• Film Log   1 day 10 hours ago

Thanks, maybe I'll find a special showing of Satantango and tell them that it's "twice as epic" as The Hobbit ;-)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 day 13 hours ago

Can't really think of any films on your list that it's similar to (from the ones I've seen at least): it has some of the drama and thrill of Brazil, but TGBH is gentler and more uplifting.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 day 14 hours ago

No problem, you're welcome to recommend more any time there are less than 5 recommendations from you (per category). Once a recommendation moves to the "honored" section, it no longer counts towards your total.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 day 14 hours ago

If you're going to watch the lot I'll wait a few months to recommend more as you have a big list there.

• What misscurly read in 2014...   1 day 15 hours ago

Radiance

Keiko survives the Hiroshima bombing with an ugly radiation scar on her face. The Hiroshima Project brings her to New York to receive cutting edge plastic surgery in an effort to 'heal the wounds'. The attempt is unsuccessful on many levels, and at the end of the book the reader realizes how little anyone knew of the real Keiko.

Born on a Blue Day

This book is amazing. It is also exactly what you expect; plain, blunt language with minimal descriptives, sometimes reading more like a technical manual than a personal account of living with a diagnosis on the Autism Spectrum. But, written any other way would not have been true to the author's experience of the world. It simply would not have been a memoir "inside his mind", but rather some other person fancying up what he had told them.

The details of his story are truly incredible, because unlike the general view of savants, Daniel functions well and interacts socially with the world. He can describe to us how he arrives at his fantastic calculations and mnemonic feats. His mind is beautiful and fascinating, and I thank him for his contributions to the study of the brain as well as to the universal consciousness in sharing his story.

Clockwork Orange
    (a reread -- one of my favourite Utopian novels)

Milosz

Milo's life is stilted as he waits for his father to return from wherever he disappeared to. In the meantime, he assembles his acquaintances in his father's home, to live together as a kind of family. The only person Milo is really open with is the next door neighbour kid, an autistic boy named Robertson. Through Milo's bungled attempts to do the right thing for the people in his life, he eventually begins to live again.

The Giver
    (A reread -- another one of my favourites)

From the Dust Returned

An unusual story about an ancient house which draws together an eternal family of shadows and haunts -- and their adopted human son Timothy, as ordinary as they come.

Gathering Blue

The second book in the Giver series. It does not seem to attach to the first in any way.

Kira lives with her mother in a primitive world without running water or electricity. She has a gift -- she can embroider fantastic images, and occasionally her fingers take over and the creations have magical properties. When her mother suddenly dies, Kira is taken in as an orphan by the elite in the community, who live in a relic building from the past and have many luxuries including running water. Kira soon realizes that she and the other gifted orphans were brought there for a reason, and are more prisoners than guests.

Messenger

The third in the Giver series. This makes the connection between the second, and eventually the first books.

Matty, the ragamuffin from "Gathering Blue" lives with Kira's father in the Village. The Village has a history of accepting refugees from other places, but When discontent begins brewing amongst the villagers, they decide to close the village to any newcomers. Most of the story focuses on Matty's struggle to get through the Forest that seperates Kira from the Village, and their perilous journey back. This book also brings to light several individuals with "gifts", which becomes a recurrent theme in the series.

Son

The fourth and final in the Giver series.

Clare is a link that unites all of the stories together. A teenager in the first community, she runs away the same night as Gabe and Jonah. She reaches the Village by a more circuitous route. Together, the foundlings unite and fight against evil.
    It wasn't exactly what I expected, but I was satisfied with the attention to loose ends.

Tenant of Wildfell Hall

A mysterious woman takes up residence in an abandoned Hall with her young son, and the local community is shocked at her snubbing of their society as well as her fierce and independent ideas. As a young landowner falls in love with Helen and begins to unravel the mysteries around her, the reader learns about the lack of women's rights and the suffering and fear that could accompany it.

Vampyre

A collection of 12 short stories written by well known authors in the early 19th century. Sharing six stories with the Oxford version also noted, the volume includes
    The Vampyre by John Polidori (one of the first written versions of the vampire legends?)
    The Cremona Violin by ETA Hoffmann (a haunting story of music and death)
    The Lady with the Velvet Collar by Washington Irving (many versions of this story available, involving a collar and a guillotine)
    Leixlip Castle by Charles Maturin (a woman obtains a husband by sorcery)
    The Tapestried Chamber by Sir Walter Scott (a creepy room in an ancient home)
    Monos and Daimonos by Edward Bulwer-Lytton (a man tormented by a fiend, never to be alone)
    The Dream by Mary Shelley (a woman sleeps on a precipice to decide if she should be married)
    The Red Man by Catherine Gore (a secret of parenthood and promises leads to torture)
    The Bride of Lindorf by Letitia E London (a gallant man rescues and promptly marries an imprisoned damsel, only later to discover his mistake)
    Dr Heidegger's Experiment by Nathaniel Hawthorne (experiments with the fountain of youth)
    Passage in the Secret History of an Irish Countess (a young lady barely escapes murder at the hands of her extended family)
    Ligeia by Edgar Allan Poe (a man is haunted by his first wife)

All the stories are written in the creepy but antiquated language of the time period, which means they aren't really all that creepy at all to the modern (desensitized) reader. They are amusing as the roots of the horror genre. No real duds in this collection; all equally good.

• A Clone of theduckthief's Ultimate Reading Compilation   1 day 16 hours ago

Another year drawing to a close, and I have read an embarrassingly minuscule number of books from this list, currently tallying 293 or 12% of the total.
    My favourite selections from this year's reading include the Narnia series by CS Lewis (of course!), All Quiet on the Western Front by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Faces in the Water by Janet Frame. Narnia is absolutely beloved due to nostalgia; my sister and I wore out the VHS tapes of the BBC The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. All Quiet on the Western Front is fantastic both for being told by "the enemy", but also for its easily digestible writing which allows rumination. Faces in the Water provides a fascinating perspective from inside a mental health institution in the 1950s, detailing the barbaric practices as well as the healing (in spite of everything).

I would love to state a goal for the new year to reach 15% completion of the list, but 70 books in one year is more than I have done in a long time.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 day 16 hours ago

Thanks again, that is an extraordinary album and your description fits really well. I've rated it 7.5 but on two of the listens so far I thought it could be pushing 8/10. I would say Dawson is definitely an artist to look out for and if he keeps progressing down this path, he has a shot at some really amazing work. Hopefully he locks into some superhuman groove between Neutral Milk Hotel's Aeroplane and TMR (including the extended depth/kaleidoscopic content of those works!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 day 16 hours ago

I've been in every single one of these since the beginning, so, of course, I'm in again. I feel old seeing that my account will be 10 years old in a few weeks.