• Favorite Albums   3 hours 9 sec ago

Yes, the worldwide edition.

• Favorite Albums   3 hours 2 min ago

Well there are a bunch of albums that make up the top 30 spots on my list and keeping changing positions over time. Dysnomia recently joined the bunch and I think it's going to stay. I don't know if it's better than A Love Supreme or VU & Nico but I think it's just as good. At the moment it interests me more than either of them because I've already worn them out.

An interesting thing about Dysnomia is the continuity of the whole album. There's a natural flow to everything that happens throughout the whole thing. It's always a good idea to listen to the whole album without pause. The overall feeling I get from it is more than just suspense or trance ... it's catharsis.

I haven't listened to Rock Bottom since a few years ago when I was in love and the album made so much sense. I kinda never get the urge to listen to it these days. It's a first class masterpiece though.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   13 hours 26 min ago

I've already described it in previous posts (the earlier ones on your page). Just revisit those if you're interested. Maybe I'll write a more thorough review sometime later.

• They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?: 1,000 Greatest Films: 2003 edition onwards   18 hours 33 min ago

Hi guys, I've now updated the list for the February 2015 version.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   21 hours 47 min ago

Is the concept of What's Going On much deeper than "Love is necessary" or "Come together," or am I continually missing something? I do pay attention when I listen to it but it always falls into that simple theme, and it seems impossible to see it as more deep. It never stops being simply a masterpiece of that surface concept. I would argue that it has little to do with spirituality but simply with compassionate social commentary. A deeper spiritual concept would be self-transcendence, for example, which is associated with Buddhism and psychedelics. Most scientists and philosophers would find this area of research more profound than, say, the civil rights movement, in part because it has already happened. If someone released an album today simply about racism, as if that commentary were new, it would be panned, no matter how much talent or bare emotion is in the work. Of course one can feel the profundity of self-transcendence while listening to What's Going On, but it would be more in the person's mind than in the art.

I will add that when you describe the album in terms of romanticized and transfigured states it doesn't answer my first question - I see it, but I'm not really sure what is so great about that.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   23 hours 5 min ago

I'm always open to change with each new listen, but currently I dont know of a single artist in the history of music that can/or has, done what Gaye has accomplished with What's Going On. I doubt that the most sophisticated artists of all time -- anyone from Mahler to Spring Heel Jack, could compose those "floating" songs/medley without a tremendous effort and, further, make them sound so transfigured, let alone find another voice/vocal performance such as Gaye's. Now -- if how many listens from now? -- it no longer proves to be, or if after going through the history of R & B/Soul (if I ever do) -- that is no longer the case, then perhaps what I've said will no longer seem true and Ill change my mind, but currently: I would strongly suggest re-listening to them with increased attention to the entire sound and conveyance of emotions. The same can be said -- to a somewhat lesser degree -- for Innervisions. Michael Jackson, among others, have certainly tried to sound/convey that one! Innervisions also elevates its songs to romanticized states and transfigurations but whereas Gaye's is more of a single visionary stream-of-conscious, Innervisions continuously climaxes between theatrically colorful romantic street-life reproductions, stunningly vibrant and felt hymns yo God/love, spiritual ascensions/"rave-ups", to outright comedy all the while under a vivid spell of immaculate, nuanced, penetrating soul. Comparing it cinematically, Innervisions doesn't seem far from the artistic value of, say, a Chaplin film or one of Wilders romanticized/"disguised" (with melancholy/pessimism) comedies.

Just understand that I am not rating them so high lightly/haphazardly/carelessly. Who knows if it will ever change? Only works of very rare emotional weight and caliber rate that highly in my criteria. Ive listened to hundreds of spiritual works of all types/genres and can assure you thats not the issue. "If" an issue exists, it might be that I am somewhat inexperienced with R & B/Soul (relative to rock/classical) and that further discoveries in that field might make them seem less impressive.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   23 hours 48 min ago

Update 5
    Dashforcover rose one place to 4th. Bpchicky climbed 2 slots to take over 7th. Two of our number, nukualofa and mamushka have dropped out of the 1 film per day level. Puzzgal and guardianryoga conspired to ease julesyoung into 13th place and formed a tie at 11th. Tatum stepped quietly into 15th while kgracetasticsake leaped two slots to 20th and Lendoxia slid smartly into 21st. We had 5 who did not log any films this week at all.

As a group we logged 129 movies over last week for a total of 1214 films. The next update will be 15 March with 74 and 148 being the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day, respectively. Happy viewing and see you in two weeks!

• List of Oscar nominated actors and actresses by date of death   1 day 3 min ago

Available on Netflix for the ten last
    Bold means Oscar nominated role
    Bold caps means Oscar winning role
    * means recommended movie

- Patch Adams, 1998 *
    - Next Stop Wonderland, 1998
    - Boogie Nights, 1997 *
    - Scent of a Woman, 1992 *
    - Leap of Faith, 1992

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 32 min ago

I get that you simply have a different taste in spiritual albums but I am suggesting that the spirituality of Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder is less sophisticated, such that the difference would disappear and the preference would reverse given a shift in knowledge rather than a shift in artistic opinion or attentiveness. If that is true then of course it isn't a matter of listening to the album attentively. If it isn't I admit I'm sorely mistaken either about those albums or about spirituality (or about art), which I doubt.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 54 min ago

Agreed. On that note, I'd say that varying between different art forms is the most rewarding and effective measure, which could easily include literature and/or studying philosophy/science/religion.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 1 hour ago

Oh yeah, it is all subjective, but regardless of the interpersonal difference, it seems more logical to come back to an album when I feel I have gained insight into its concepts or sounds, or simply when I feel like listening to it, than to do so as a matter of systematically reviewing the current opinion on all "8-8.5" albums (which you may or may not be doing). It made sense to revisit Rock Bottom when lyrics from the first song sprang up in my head one night and became more profound. I think investigating certain knowledge would directly increase appreciation of certain albums but I didn't mean to suggest anyone should do it for that purpose or target. One should do it for the personal benefit. I have to remind myself sometimes to stop listening to music and to increase my knowledge (elsewhere).

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 1 hour ago

I think it might be more that I rate certain ones higher that Scaruffi (you too?) might (or do) rate lower (What's Going On, Laughing Stock, Innervisions and some others...), while I find some of those others somewhat less significant. That doesn't mean I won't ever see the greatness in Moondance (as covered above), and it doesn't mean I won't re-upgrade Hosianna Mantra (wouldn't be the least bit surprised), and I am nearly certain right now that I'll be upgrading Underwater Moonlight. Sometimes it's just a matter of listening to the album more "closely" and doing a better job of paying attention/observation. While I feel I am generally quite careful and "accurate" (per my subjective criteria), I do have my "misses" here and there, too!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 2 hours ago

I am very aware of albums changing based on experience, knowledge, etc, and don't think I've ever considered it any other way -- and infact have made similar suggestions you're making to me, to others, several times, on this site and elsewhere. I'm not sure if I would agree that reading/researching those forms of spirituality would be necessary addition to complete musical knowledge, but it might and it couldn't hurt. Thanks for your suggestions though; as I've said before: although I agree with Scaruffi very consistently, we are different people and I do draw different conclusions at times. While his opinions are based on an astonishingly vast well of experience (likely more than any other critic in history), they are still subjective. That said, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Moondance comes to me one of these days sooner or later, otherwise I wouldn't keeping coming back to it :-) Currently -- perhaps not permanently -- I feel other albums promote a more profound or powerful expression of spirituality/mysticism/transcendance, etc, including his own Astral Weeks.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 3 hours ago

That sounds right. The album is difficult to describe. The creepy crawler fascination is similar to the mole fascination in Rock Bottom in that there arises a recognition of compassion beyond the ordinary limits of perception. In "Queen of Eyes" the ordinarily haunting sensation of being lied to explodes into a political, moral, and spiritual awareness ("Here I am again...").

I'm not underestimating how good a 7.5 or 8.2 is; I've just noticed a pattern of spiritual albums you underrate relative to your own taste.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 3 hours ago

Of course you appreciate spiritual albums already but it seems unlikely that you are familiar with a certain kind of spirituality since you don't get Moondance, which I find very unlikely if you are into meditation, self-transcendence, Buddhist concepts, etc., and like similar music. And the relevant concepts are central to spirituality and are difficult to generalize. Of course Doors, Astral Weeks, Rock Bottom, What's Going On are spiritual albums but they are more generally spiritual in that they can easily be appreciated on their face, without much rarefied spiritual symbolism in mind. On the other hand, Moondance can be interpreted as less substantial or profound than it really is if one is not fully in tune with what he is talking about in terms of ego transcendence, the mind as a radio, interconnectedness, etc. Basically, I find it very unlikely that a person is familiar with a certain spiritual framework/narrative, recognizing how profound it is, and still finds it underwhelming if they like similar music. And there are many other things I've noticed about your ratings, so it's just my intuition. I could be wrong. In any case my point was that you may or may not find yourself in an automatic habit of reevaluating dozens of albums to pass the time, to arrive at a static list, unaware that it will certainly change again when you gain insight, even if you believe that it won't.

• The Greatest Science Fiction Short Stories   1 day 4 hours ago

• Best movies of the 2010s (that I've seen)   1 day 12 hours ago

Re: Whiplash... completely agreed! It follows the "sports movie" formula a bit too closely but the interesting performances make it far more complex.

Re: Boyhood... I've only seen it once as well, maybe a re-watch would change my opinion? I haven't seen many of the other Linklater films, but the ones I have seen (Before Sunrise and Before Sunset) are amazing.

Re: Grand Budapest Hotel... it's my favourite Wes Anderson movie, though Fantastic Mr Fox is close behind, and Rushmore and Moonrise Kingdom are great as well. I haven't seen Royal Tenenbaums or Darjeeling Limited, however, so no idea if they'd be up there as well.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 13 hours ago

Also... After just now revisiting Underwater Moonlight: yes, it very likely needs an upgrade. The main thing that sets it apart are the offbeat, psychedelic (reviving the 60's Kinks/Barrett), the rough, dynamic compositions, many of them ascending to states of "feverish transcendence" (or "spirituality"). But especially, the jangling counterpoint of the frantic guitars swirling in and out of the rhythmic foundations, destabilizing the compositions, causing a frantic assortment of accumulating emotional releases across the album's running time. This may or may not have been what you meant, but without going into too much detail, that's how I would put it at the moment.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 14 hours ago

Sorry, that's an understandable assumption if all one is focusing on is Moondance and Underwater Moonlight (I suppose), but that's not it at all. I cherish countless spiritual albums/works (Van Morrison's own Astral Weeks, Talk Talk's masterpieces, What's Going On, Rock Bottom, Pavilion of Dreams, A Love Supreme, etc etc, etc ... there's too many ... Beethoven's 9th plus a gazillion other classical works...etc... Also (not your fault) is you joined listology rather late and don't know that I rated Hosianna Mantra a 9/10 for years. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I re-rated it the same. Additionally, it sounds like you may be underestimating how strongly I feel about an 8.2 like Hosianna Mantra, or 7.5 like Underwater Moonlight. The definitions in my criteria page are very apt and carefully chosen/worded.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 15 hours ago

I think your ratings will drastically change the next time your values and knowledge shift, when you may feel the need to relisten to all these albums again. And in general that would mean time would have been wasted (to put it another way one could spend too much time listening to music). For example, I think learning about spirituality (by reading its scientific literature) would improve your appreciation of Moondance, a quintessentially spiritual album, and other albums like Underwater Moonlight and Hosianna Mantra. Without a certain amount of knowledge one could listen to an album many times and be convinced for a while of its worth relative to one's values only to gain new insight and ideas and have the experience change again. Artistic opinion is just an output in that sense, rather than an input. Just a friendly suggestion.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 16 hours ago

From "My Criteria":

"The differences in rating and ranking are determined by a precise attempt at measuring the degree of amazement or awe inspired from the experience of the whole work while it is being assimilated. Experiences tend to differentiate -- even if slightly -- from one to the next, so the rating is an attempt to determine as precisely as possible the sustained peak of its experience. Therefore, I will tend to assimilate a work several times (particularly in the higher ratings) before I really settle in to a more "permanent" rating and ranking for it. Of course, even then, these are subject to change, but usually I can sooner or later come to terms with a very close estimation of its sustained value within my criteria and in relation to other works of art. After that, there are still variances with that work, from one experience to the next, but in most cases they are so minute that the rating usually doesn't change much, if at all."

• Spam Patrol   1 day 18 hours ago

2015-02-07: 004 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages
    2015-02-06: 002 accounts, 02 comments, 00 pages
    2015-02-05: 012 accounts, 01 comments, 00 pages
    2015-02-03: 007 accounts, 01 comments, 05 pages
    2015-02-01: 002 accounts, 01 comments, 00 pages

• The Greatest Science Fiction Short Stories   1 day 22 hours ago

This list is still very much incomplete, and especially lacking in stories from the last 25 years.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 22 hours ago

What's the point of painstakingly reevaluating so many albums when one's opinion will change again?

• Favorite Albums   2 days 2 hours ago

Thanks I listened to it once weeks ago, upon HexNash/Resident Ubu's recommendation. After revisiting Tortoise's mind-bogglingly astonishing Millions Now Living Will Never Die last night, I am even more inclined to revisit Dysnomia (Tortoise seems to be a major inspiration).