• Greatest Films of All Time   7 hours 42 min ago

I meant that those were the ones which appealed to me the most concept-wise anyway. Thanks for the comparisons to the albums by the way; actually, I got the idea to watch Tarkovsky's films when I saw the Spirit of Eden/The Sacrifice comparison on your "Corresponding Works of Art" list, which intrigued me because I recently got into Spirit of Eden.

re: calvinandhobbes... To the Lighthouse is a novel I've been wanting to check out for a long time, will definitely read it!

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   8 hours 10 min ago

Yes, those sound good. From memory the entire emotional arc of the film parallels What's Going On pretty darn well, but Id have to see it again to be more certain.

• Greatest Films of All Time   8 hours 16 min ago

As a note, Andrei Rublev might as well be on my 8.8/10+ list. If not, it's close enough that few would be able to discern the difference, so Id add it to your choices for sure.

• Greatest Films of All Time   8 hours 42 min ago

Mirror was fine for me as a starting point. I would as well recommend Virginia Woolf's novel To the Lighthouse, which has identical stream-of-consciousness imagery with Mirror and is as great as it. I don't know any better but Mirror could have been inspired by it. When you do watch it I recommend following this scene-by-scene guide (starts on p.37).

• Greatest Films of All Time   9 hours 1 min ago

Here's one way to put it:

-For a film that is emotionally/thematically similar to Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom, see Nostalghia.
    -For a film that is emotionally/thematically similar to Tim Buckley's Starsailor, see Mirror.
    -For a film that is emotionally/thematically similar to Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden, see The Sacrifice.
    -For a film that is emotionally/thematically similar to Talk Talk's Laughing Stock, see Stalker.
    -For a film that is emotionally/thematically similar to Peter Gabriel's Passion, see Andrei Rublev.

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   9 hours 3 min ago

Having watched Wings of Desire, which you compared to What's Going On on my page, I do find it a very good comparison. The flight in track 3 is stunning in the way that the fall/plunge in Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom and Julia Holter's Tragedy is, and the return to human form in the finale (the transition from preaching from above to resenting "the way they do my life") is similar to the angel's conversion in the movie, correct?

• Greatest Films of All Time   10 hours 15 min ago

I think I'll go with the ones which are in AfterHours' 8.8+ category, they're the ones which look the most interesting to me.

• Greatest Films of All Time   19 hours 27 min ago

No, no, no! Forget Ivan for now: Tarkovsky is just beginning to tap into his genius there. I'd say Andrei Rublev or Stalker... the latter is more demanding, the former more conventional insofar as having a narrative, though Tarkovsky does not at all strictly abide by it. Those are value neutral descriptions, btw, as both are masterpieces. Alternately: Mirror is his shortest film (90 minutes!), perhaps the richest and most resourceful use of cinematic language ever, and absolutely perfect.

• Greatest Films of All Time   20 hours 14 min ago

In terms of accessibility, probably Ivan's Childhood, though its also the least representative of his later works. I could be wrong but I think Stalker is probably the most common one that people first develop a love for Tarkovsky's cinema with.

• Movie Log, 2012-2015   23 hours 38 min ago

I was surprised at my own reaction to Birdman. I fully expected to enjoy it, which I did for the first 30 minutes or so. By the 60 minute mark I surrendered any hope. By the end, I realized I had just spent 2 hours watching clumsy satire (which was neither funny nor insightful), and thinly drawn caricatures delivery poorly written monologues. Somehow the film managed to be less than the sum of it's parts.

As for The Last Picture Show, yeah, I really do love that film.

• Greatest Films of All Time   1 day 5 hours ago

Which film would be the best starting point for Tarkovsky's filmography?

• Best rock albums of the 1990s   1 day 10 hours ago

Thanks, it's still a pretty incomplete list. Mos Def is great, and BoBS is probably my favorite hip-hop album. Really progressive stuff. Entroducing I like, Building Steam with a Grain of Salt is fantastic. Haven't listened to it in a while so maybe I'll give it another go. I see what you mean about Under Glass. Lots of interesting dynamics that I don't really hear on Well Oiled. For some reason I had always put off listening to it.

• Movie Log, 2012-2015   1 day 11 hours ago

I liked Birdman more than you but I also agree with the points you made, just not to the same degree of dislike. Also, I was a bit surprised it won Best Picture. When I saw it I didn't think of it as a typical Academy favorite (not that I even give a rats ass anymore which film wins it).

Also, didn't know you were such a big fan of Last Picture Show. Love that film!

• Best "Slowcore" Albums   1 day 12 hours ago

I'm guessing slowcore is just slow guitar music with melancholy lyrics and brooding or dreary vocals.

• POLL: Which 14-songs would you want on a single-disc White Album?   1 day 13 hours ago

You think "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat" is better than "Yer Blues"?

In all honesty please don't compare Bob Dylan albums to The Beatles.

Even Dylan has gone on record saying The Beatles were just too harmonious and melodically inclined to have a really bad song.

• Best "Slowcore" Albums   1 day 14 hours ago

"Are the vocals reminiscent of Low's or My Bloody Valentine's? I don't know."

For the most part, I'd say her vocals are reminiscent of MBV. Fey, buried under layered distorted guitars. Even in Silence and Hour of the Trace definitely sound like shoegaze to me. That said, as a songwriter she seems to have more in common with Codeine than MBV.

• Best Sean Connery as James Bond 007 Film?   1 day 15 hours ago

Wow, 'Never Say Never Again' got a vote before 'Thunderball'...

• Best rock albums of the 1990s   1 day 19 hours ago

One of the best 90's lists I've seen. Great to see the high ranking of Mos Def's masterpiece. The only thing I disagree with is Entroducing (I find it very fascinating, definitely in the top 10 for me). I like to recommend Hash Jar Tempo's Under Glass, which is even better than Well Oiled imho.

• Greatest Punk Rock Songs   1 day 19 hours ago

Post-Punk/Art Punk list would be awesome. There's a huge variety of masterpieces tagged as these genres. Minutemen EPs are great. Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat might be the best one. It's rawer and more confrontational than Double Nickels and might have something you would consider appropriate for this list. All of their EPs are collected on the Post-Merch compilations.

• Favorite Albums   1 day 19 hours ago

Google this : html code span class gray

• Favorite Albums   1 day 23 hours ago

How do you type in gray text?

• POLL: Which 14-songs would you want on a single-disc White Album?   1 day 23 hours ago

Which 'Blonde on Blonde' songs would you categorize as filler?

• My Celebrity Crushes   2 days 2 hours ago

The main centers for new trends are Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto. Robert Lepage, movie theater itself and entrepreneur from Canada, has an international following among connoisseurs.
    Cheap Dallas Opera Tickets

• Greatest Works of Art   2 days 7 hours ago

Agreed, it is an amazingly spiritual album. At its best, it's just breathtaking.

I like Cassavetes in general but A Woman Under the Influence wasn't as intimidating as Faces so it gets the high rating from me! I still need to figure that film out.

• Best "Slowcore" Albums   2 days 8 hours ago

It's a diaphanous, ethereal album. Both introspective (a la shoegazing) and loopy and trance-like (a la psychedelia). This creates the effect of an intense overlapping of the mind and the cosmos, and a sense of duality, between mind and matter, and between human "music" and electronics. Particularly cool because the detached vocals are both struck by the inhumanly ambient sounds and rescued by the elegant rhythm of the guitar and also the piano.

I'm wondering whether she is even slowcore, and whether "slowcore" is even a legitimate genre. I'm thinking it might just be shoegazing/psychedelia. Are the vocals reminiscent of Low's or My Bloody Valentine's? I don't know.