• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   1 hour 36 min ago

About 5 weeks since the last update. Having slipped out of the top 10 and with her/his account gone from Listology, McJoJo has been removed.
    Update #17 (I think)

(18 Sep)(261 days)

=======⥣⥣⥣ > 2 films/day ⥣⥣⥣=======
    =======⥥⥥⥥ < 2 films/day ⥥⥥⥥=======
    1.(1) tom_elce 508 (65)
    2.(2) mightysparks 388 (57)
    3.(3) loonapick 286 (36)
    =======⥣⥣⥣ > 1 film/day ⥣⥣⥣=======
    =======⥥⥥⥥ < 1 film/day ⥥⥥⥥=======
    6. (4) Ultimo Lee 242 (40)
    5. (5) Tatum 234 (33)
    4. (6) dashforcover 225 (15)
    7. (6) Puzzgal 216 (22)
    8. (8) mamushka 167 (26)
    9. (14) Laivaren 130 (18)
    10. (9) julesyoung 129 (1)
    11. (12) danvers 127 (14)
    12. (11) skullduggerish 124 (10)
    13. (12) guardianryoga 121 (8)
    14. (15) LukeRobot 114 (10)
    15. (17) mattmakins 112 (17)
    16. (16) bpchicky 102 (0)
    17. (18) kaplan 89 (0)
    17. (19) nyybella 89 (4)
    19. (20) Lendoxia 67 (4)
    20. (21) kgracetasticsake 54 (6)
    21. (23) nukualofa 52 (20)
    22. (21) hinterland 49 (1)
    23. (24) AJDaGreat 48 (17)
    24. (25) alberkin 24 (0)
    25. (26) aaliyah16 16 (2)

At the moment there is one tie at 17. Tom_elce continues to widen his lead. The biggest change is that Laivaren leaped from 14 to a new spot at 9. Welcome to the top ten! kaplan, we still miss you.

• The 100 Greatest Electronic/Dance Albums   2 hours 16 min ago

That's great, I'm glad you're making use of my list. Yeah, I need to expand my 'Favorite Albums' list (I had kinda forgotten about it, actually). Haha... yeah, get a copy of 'The Fat of the Land', man. It's essential listening and still holds up remarkably well after all these years.

And I so adore 'Second Toughest in the Infants'. While it's nowhere near as celebrated as 'Dubnobasswithmyheadman', I do think it's Underworld's highwater mark. By the way, I'm very happy to see you loved 'Dubnobass...' as much as you did! It truly is a brilliant record ("Surfboy" is my jam). Cheers.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   10 hours 28 min ago

No problem :) Yes, generally speaking, those "greatest paintings" lists are worth a look. Usually most of their selections are works that are at least acclaimed/significant historically. They're useful, especially as a start while one is developing his/her criteria/tastes. Painting critics/analysts tend to be quite dependable -- similar to classical music critics/historians/analysts.

• Media Log 2014   13 hours 50 min ago

Haha, lucky guess then :P Yes it totally is a killer album; going even further, an evocative and dynamic experience. It's like in every song the singer is pondering on identity and uniqueness while the atmosphere at once seems to convey an apocalyptic and desolate landscape. The closing tracks (The Other Side+I Know You) are also totally devastating and the best ending from all Morphine albums. The whole album in fact, takes advantage of the album format in a way no other Morphine album does.

Like Swimming would be 6.5 or 7 maybe. I haven't listened to it much, because almost none of the songs are as satisfying as the best of the previous albums.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   16 hours 54 min ago

Dude thanks for taking the time to write this very thoughtful and detailed comment :)

I just read it and I think there are literally thousands of great paintings that I have to see and I have already seen, like , five :D This is pretty exciting, to say the least. The HistoryWorld website looks good and very user-friendly, I think I'd go through that first.

I have another question, if you don't mind : Are the famous mainstream "greatest paintings ever" lists worth a look? Or are they rather irrelevant? (you know, like Rolling Stone's 500 albums list for rock)

• Media Log 2014   17 hours 7 min ago

I always thought Good would eventually end up in your top 10-15 rock albums. I feel so smart now that it's up there :D But seriously, it's a killer album, totally deserves a very high spot. It's one of those albums that I wish I could list in the top 10 or 20, but that would be dishonest 'cause I don't listen to it THAT much.

It would be very interesting to see how you'd rate Like Swimming. It's a pretty underrated album IMO.

• Spam Patrol   1 day 2 hours ago

2014-09-04: 050 accounts, 01 comments, 01 pages
    2014-09-03: 057 accounts
    2014-09-02: 052 accounts, 02 comments, 02 pages
    2014-09-01: 049 accounts
    2014-09-00: 000 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages

• Media Log 2014   1 day 11 hours ago

I updated it when I updated my latest update of my now updated Greatest Albums Extended (and updated) list.

• 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (combination list including all 4 editions)   2 days 12 hours ago

• Titles read as of September 16, 2014: 125

(I still can't edit my original comment, but updates I previously had to list as individual comments are now all aggregated again into one. Perhaps a kindly moderating brownie is tidying things up when I'm not looking. If so, thank you!)

• Favorite TV Shows   3 days 11 hours ago

They're the best ones.

• The 100 Greatest Electronic/Dance Albums   3 days 16 hours ago

Dude thank you so much for posting the sample of contenders for the next 100. This list was already one of the most useful lists for me (the influence/acclaim/popularity criteria makes it pretty great for someone who knows very little about electronic music and needs to what the essential albums are), now it's even better.

I wish your Favorite Albums article was longer and had more entries. Your description of The Fat of the Land has made me want it so bad. I will get Second Toughest in the Infants as well (Dubnobasswithmyheadman is the first techno/progressive house masterpiece I've heard in my life! totally changed my attitude towards the genre)

• Media Log 2014   4 days 20 hours ago

But it's quite different from the original 1967 release. 6 extra tracks makes a huge difference; indeed, it could be said that the 17-track release is more like a compilation.

• Media Log 2014   5 days 6 hours ago

I didn't think it was necessary. It's long been the standard release hasn't it? I'm pretty sure the other ones have been out of print since 1997 (At least in the US. I've never even seen them).

• Media Log 2014   5 days 9 hours ago

re: Rubber Soul...not necessarily? I can totally see I've Just Seen a Face and It's Only Love fitting on RS, though I haven't heard the US album.

re: "For a really good time, check out the Animals' albums on wikipedia." I'm really regretting doing that :/ Also, Wikipedia tells me Animalisms is a UK album which makes my head hurt even more.

• Media Log 2014   5 days 9 hours ago

"The one on my list is the 17-track release." Mention that on it then! :P Just like you mention the specific versions of your Greatest Films.

• Media Log 2014   5 days 10 hours ago

It's so annoying that they did this... Headache...turning...on... ;-) From a historical perspective, it's interesting that it pretty much ended (I think?) date-coincident with Blonde On Blonde and the on-slaught of concept albums and albums conceived more as cohesive works of art.

• Media Log 2014   5 days 10 hours ago

The one on my list is the 17-track release. It's very possible my 8.2/10 rating is too low (I've had it 8.3+ before). I think the UK release is somewhat oddly sequenced, though this may be because I am so used to the 17-track version. I would start it with Purple Haze for sure -- about as perfect an opener as possible. I might place Hey Joe after Manic Depression and Wind Cries Mary after I Don't Live Today.

• Media Log 2014   5 days 11 hours ago

You can say that again. Until '67, British record companies thought that it was best to leave singles off of albums to prevent cannibalization, but American companies wanted to repackage. That's why the Rolling Stones' discography looks like a mess, for example. I would tend to consider the UK versions as the official ones, not because the lack of singles made albums artistically "purer" (that was just an accident), but because they were usually completed first. Luckily, we seem to think that most of the music "afflicted" by this annoyance isn't good enough for our lists anyay :).

This one's a particularly confusing exception to my rule: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Our_Heads.

- In July 1965, the Stones released recordings completed in May, mostly A and B sides of singles (including "Satisfaction").
    - The parts of [US] which weren't singles were combined with new non-singles recorded in September and released later in September as [UK].
    - I would say that [US] is just a compilation and that [UK] is an album, despite the fact that [UK] includes songs already released on [US] (as if the release was only for record company profit and [UK] would've happened anyway, albeit maybe with a different title if they wouldn't have had the phrase "out of our heads" to borrow off of).
    - On the other hand, collector-wise, it's more efficient to get [US] and then get the missing tracks via the US-only comp, "December's Children (And Everybody's)"

- For the pre-digital age peeps, note that there's a lot of re-shuffled album art across the US and UK albums. Hopefully those scowling facial expressions are right up your alley.
    - I would imagine that Brian Wilson got a hold of the UK version of Rubber Soul - his feelings about how well the album goes together wouldn't be right for the US version, which contains bits of the already outdated Help!
    - John Cale brought the Who's single "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" back to NY after a trip to England in August 1965. I'm guessing he pre-ordered the UK debut, released in December, rather than wait for the US debut (April). This is based on the Velvet's "European Son", played live in January, sounding loosely based on the Who's "The Ox"
    - For a really good time, check out the Animals' albums on wikipedia. I'm going with this as their official 60's discography: Animals [UK], Animal Tracks [UK], Animalisms (a US-only album), and Animalism (note, singular)

• Favorite TV Shows   5 days 15 hours ago

The seasons mentioned are those you've seen or just the best ones?

• Media Log 2014   5 days 15 hours ago

The version on your Greatest Albums list is the original UK version though, right? By the way, the 17-track compilation has three tracks not found on either the UK or US version I think. If those are not counted, then where would you place Purple Haze, Hey Joe and The Wind Cries Mary on the UK tracklisting to make the best possible 14-track version, and what would your estimated rating of this version be?

• Media Log 2014   5 days 15 hours ago

In the 60's there were lots of idiotic UK and US releases of albums. The best version of AYE is definitely the 17-track "combination" of tracks from both releases, which -- I am pretty sure -- has become the "standard" release over the last 15 years or so.

• Media Log 2014   5 days 16 hours ago

Great, thanks :D

What do you think about the two versions of Are You Experienced?

• Media Log 2014   5 days 22 hours ago

RE: It's a Fire from Portishead's Dummy ... yes, don't know if it would make enough of a difference to raise the album a ratings point or not, but it's a better album with it than without.

• Media Log 2014   5 days 23 hours ago

Perhaps The Terminator, or maybe The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover... or... well, it was nice knowing you...

• Media Log 2014   5 days 23 hours ago

I haven't listened to Litanies of Satan but I did listen to Diamanda Galas so I think I know what this lawyer is like :/ What about his movie equivalent though? The Terminator? Texas Chain Saw Massacre? :P