• My Favorite Rock Albums   1 hour 25 min ago

White Light/White Heat is now number one? Sweet!

Have you heard the 3-disc 45th Anniversary Deluxe Edition? It has lots of great stuff: the album in stereo and mono, a live set with with Cale, the instrumental version of The Gift, some recordings from the same period, and an alternate mix of I Heard Her Call My Name (the same take as the original) where Morrison, Cale and Tucker are much more audible than before.

• List of Oscar nominated actors and actresses by date of death   1 hour 39 min ago

Available on Netflix for the ten last
    Bold means Oscar nominated role
    Bold caps means Oscar winning role
    * means recommended movie

MICKEY ROONEY
    - The Muppets, 2011 (UK, Ire, Nor, Swe, Den, Fin, Ned) *
    - Leave 'em Laughing, 1981 (USA)
    - The Black Stallion, 1979 (Bra) *
    - Pete's Dragon, 1977 (Ned)
    - The Cockeyed Cowboys of Calico County, 1970 (USA)
    - Breakfast at Tiffany's, 1961 (Can, Bra, Mex) *
    - The Last Mile, 1959 (USA)
    - The Bridges at Toko-Ri, 1954 (UK, Ire) *

PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN
    - Salinger, 2013 (USA)
    - A Late Quartet, 2012 (USA, Can, UK, Ire) *
    - The Master, 2012 (Bra, Mex, Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - The Ides of March, 2011 (Nor) *
    - Moneyball, 2011 (Can) *
    - Jack Goes Boating, 2010 (Can)
    - Pirate Radio, 2009 (Can)
    - Doubt, 2008 (Bra, Mex) *
    - Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, 2007 (Bra, Mex) *
    - Mission: Impossible III, 2006 (Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - CAPOTE, 2005 (USA, UK, Ire) *
    - Strangers With Candy, 2005 (Nor, Swe, Den, Fin)
    - Along Came Polly, 2004 (UK, Ire)
    - Cold Mountain, 2003 (Bra, Mex, Nor, Den, Fin) *
    - Punch-Drunk Love, 2002 (USA, Can) *
    - Red Dragon, 2002 (Bra, Mex) *
    - Almost Famous, 2000 (Bra, Mex) *
    - Flawless, 1999 (Bra, Mex)
    - The Talented Mr Ripley, 1999 (USA, Can, UK, Ire, Bra, Mex, Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - The Big Lebowski, 1998 (Bra, Mex) *
    - Next Stop Wonderland, 1998 (Bra, Mex)
    - Boogie Nights, 1997 (Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - Nobody's Fool, 1994 (USA) *
    - When a Man Loves a Woman, 1994 (UK, Ire) *
    - Leap of Faith, 1992 (USA, UK, Ire)

MAXIMILIAN SCHELL
    - House of the Sleeping Beauties, 2006 (USA)
    - My Sister Maria, 2002 (USA) *
    - Vampires, 1998 (Bra, Mex, Arg)
    - The Rose Garden, 1989 (Mex, Arg, Col)
    - Marlene, 1984 (USA)
    - A Bridge Too Far, 1977 (Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - Julia, 1977 (Can) *

JUANITA MOORE
    - Papa's Delicate Condition, 1963 (UK, Ire)
    - Imitation of Life, 1959 (USA, Bra, Mex) *

JOAN FONTAINE
    - Jane Eyre, 1944 (USA) *
    - The Duke of West Point, 1938 (USA)

PETER O'TOOLE
    - For Greater Glory, 2012 (USA, Can)
    - Dean Spanley, 2008 (USA, Can)
    - Lassie, 2005 (Bra, Mex, Arg, Col) *
    - Phantoms, 1998 (Can, Ire, Nor, Swe, Den, Fin)
    - Fairy Tale: A True Story, 1997 (USA)
    - Isabelle Eberhardt, 1991 (USA)
    - Creator, 1985 (USA)
    - Caligula, 1979 (USA)
    - Zulu Dawn, 1979 (USA, Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - Becket, 1964 (USA) *
    - Lawrence of Arabia, 1963 (Bra, Mex, Arg, Col, Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *

ELEANOR PARKER
    - The Man With the Golden Arm, 1956 (Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - Detective Story, 1951 (UK, Ire) *

JULIE HARRIS
    - Gorillas in the Mist, 1989 (Bra, Mex, Arg, Col) *
    - The Belle of Amherst, 1976 (USA)

KAREN BLACK
    - Some Guy Who Kills People, 2012 (UK, Ire)
    - No Subtitles Necessary: Laszlo & Vilmos, 2008 (USA)
    - House of 1000 Corpses, 2003 (UK, Ire)
    - Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering, 1996 (US, UK, Ire, Bra, Mex, Arg, Col)
    - Crimetime, 1996 (Ire, Nor, Swe, Den, Fin)
    - Hostage, 1987 (Bra, Mex, Arg, Col)
    - Ralph S. Mouse, 1987 (USA)
    - Crime and Passion, 1976 (USA)
    - The Day of the Locust, 1975 (Can) *
    - Nashville, 1975 (Bra, Mex, Arg, Col) *
    - Airport 1975, 1974 (Bra, Mex, Arg, Col)
    - The Great Gatsby, 1974 (USA, Bra, Mex, Arg, Col) *
    - Easy Rider, 1969 (USA) *

EILEEN BRENNAN
    - Comic Book Villains, 2002 (USA)
    - The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking, 1988 (UK, Ire)
    - Clue, 1985 (USA, Bra, Mex, Arg, Col)
    - Hustle, 1975 (UK, Ire) *

2014-04-05: 54 accounts
    2014-04-04: 95 accounts, 01 comments, 6 pages
    2014-04-03: 47 accounts, 04 comments
    2014-04-02: 36 accounts
    2014-04-01: 120 accounts, 00 comments, 23 pages

• Top 50 Madonna Songs (Released as Singles in U.S)   1 day 17 hours ago

Yes, the order of songs is my personal preference. This list is ONLY for songs released as a single. In the U.S. Into the Groove was not released as an official single, but the song was so huge I had to include it in this list.

• 100 top songs from billboard (1974-2003)   1 day 19 hours ago

super

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   1 day 19 hours ago

Why has this been archived?

• Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists   2 days 5 hours ago

I didn't see a couple on the list. I guess this is the wrong way to look at it but even a solo artist is a member of a band. If they didn''t do the fundamentals and just did look at me solos, they would suck.How good is a guitar without a bass> Pretty soon it would get boring. It all comes down to what we like to listen to. Personally, I think they do the list to piss us off. There has to be a classic guitar on the list, not acoustic. I mean like you would hear in Mexico. I know People over look this but having played for 60 years, I like to think that people that play several instruments are usually damn good musicians so if they concentrated on one instrument, maybe we don't hear what they can do. They completely overlook rhythm guitars. To completely overlook country, even if it is a rock magazine show narrow mindedness and a true lack of musical knowledge. There are probably great players that are completely overlooked. List are pretty much someone's opinion that isn't even in the field he critiques. Personally the one I can't see is Cobain and missing Alvin Lee and Mason Williams.

• Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists   2 days 5 hours ago

Unless I missed a few, they missed a lot. I listen to a lot of different music, sooooo, Robert Johnson, Bonnie Raitt, Steve Gaines, Brad Paisley,Billy Gibbons. I think on the top ten, too many people that aren't musicians, go by the music they like, what others say, and solos. Personally, I would hate to be judged by something that I get to practice for hours and hours. There was a guy in the UK that Jimmy Page said taught him a lot, but he was never high profile. He was strictly sessions. He played guitar on all James Bond movies, Vic Flick. Also I could have missed it but I don't think that you can have Buddy Guy that low. He influenced too many people. I also think Leo Kotke and Joe Bonamasso and Nils Lofgrin should be on it. Now to piss of everyone.. I can't give somebody a left handed guitar and they can't play it and give them a piece of music and they can't read it the number one spot. He was the most innovative, except he copied Buddy Guy. I can't remember him playing any acoustic. If this was my list, I couldn't do it.It should be complete body of work in a career. That's just my thinking. Did I mention Steve Gaines or Chet Atkins?

• Jazz Masterpieces   2 days 17 hours ago

Thank you for this comment. Very interesting and informative.

• GE. War Movies: The Best War Movies Ever Made (Premiere Magazine February 2002)   3 days 2 hours ago

A few Great War films not mentioned: Civil War has to include the best, Gettysburg and it's prequel, Gods and Generals. World War II must include the Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far, the Big Red One, Sands of Iwo Jima, In Harm's Way, Thin Red Line and the Battle of the Bulge. The Vietnam war must also include We Were Soldiers.

• Band names you could eat...   3 days 4 hours ago

What about Korn?

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   3 days 14 hours ago

Hello & thank you for your fantastic effort! May I prod your mind...I remember 2 cartoons (as vague as it goes.....) but 1 had a little boy, blonde hair, American accent, may look 60's/70's but he & a cute talking Blue bird was in it. Near the end the boy tells the bird to go away & the bird flies off crying. The boy then has second thoughts & rushes to find the bird. The blue bird is seen crying in a tree then a Sparrow hawk or some sort of predator bird swoops down & all one sees is a single blue feather floating...! The boy cries trying to find the bird. It's vague but sad & touched me with the morel of leaving things nice!

The other was a really well animated film with 2 eagles or the like, the film has nice music & you see the 2 birds flying together, a couple! But on a farm a farmer shoots 1 & I never saw the end.

If you or anyone could help, happiness looms :)

• Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time (Classical, Rock & Jazz) [under major revisions]   4 days 21 hours ago

Thanks, I try to be pretty meticulous about it all. I'll have to check Vol 2 out. Still havent heard it.

• Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums of all time (2012)   5 days 3 hours ago

a TOP 500 ALBUMS of all time without Vangelis but with Kraftwerk? And Pink Floyd at nr.43. etc...

• 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (combination list including all 4 editions)   5 days 3 hours ago

I can no longer edit my original comment at all, as there is not even an Edit link/button now, but I can edit this follow-up comment. Odd...

• Titles read as of April 17, 2014: 120
    • Titles read as of April 19, 2014: 121

• Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time (Classical, Rock & Jazz) [under major revisions]   5 days 19 hours ago

You too.
    just maybe!...

So I think your "unit" concept is pretty much the same as what I thought, the smallest "complete" unit possible.

Another complicated one would be Soft Machine's Volume Two. Side 1 is either all one track ("Rivmic Melodies") or two (what's bookended with the "Pataphsyicals" followed by "Out of Tunes") or more (what's bookended with the alphabet stuff is all one and maybe some of the rest can be grouped too). Side 2 is either all one track ("Esther's Nose Job") or three (Perfectly Still/Dedicated; everything before the finale; the finale)

• Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time (Classical, Rock & Jazz) [under major revisions]   5 days 21 hours ago

Hey man, great to hear -- or, "read" -- from you again. A sign of further residency here to come?

Soon I will be re-listening (probably a number of times) and reviewing how I've broken up Absolutely Free. I was sort of just throwing it up there when I listed it here a year or 2 ago. The basis of how I place songs/tracks/suites on here is simply where it "ends" and "starts". Even if it's multiple tracks running one after the other, if they are "continuously" played during the album, they are considered one "unit" on this list -- unless they are obviously not really meant to do that (for instance, Sgt Pepper was apparently post-produced as a "continuous unit" in it's original 1967 version [is this actually true btw?], but obviously this wasn't intended, compositionally speaking, for most of the album). Conversely, the medley to Abbey Rd would certainly qualify if it was 7.3+ (maybe). Hope I didn't explain that too complicatedly. I'm a little tired right now.

• Jazz Masterpieces   5 days 21 hours ago

Bix Beiderbecke on the cornet is one of my favourite things... Otis Ferguson acutely described him as being "as fresh and glistening as creation itself". I also think what BH Haggin said about his role in Paul Whiteman's band holds true: "one heard him at most for a fully chorus, sometimes merely for a phrase, sometimes only in the background with the rest of the brass. But even the phrase detached itself from its dull surroundings as something exquisite and perfect; and even playing along with the others in the background he stood out from them, not through aggressiveness but solely through the distinctive quality of his style".

Re: Scaruffi's reading one of his recent pieces (if it can be called that), "The Origin of Copyright", is that he relies too much on intuition. He takes a very important literary landmark and makes a flailing attempt to connect it to what he perceives to be a failure in post-copyright artists. A remark such as "the advent of the professional writer distanced the writer from her world and from her audience" seems absurd from someone who highly ranks, for example, the writing of Proust and James. It's the same kind of half-baked logic that leads to his dismissal of a genius like Armstrong... His own ideas of what music should be come in the way of appreciation. For example, when writ by Scaruffi the phrase "Armstrong had introduced a dose on individualism in jazz that was the antithesis of its original socialist principles" has an inexplicably pejorative edge. It would be easier to take his criticism if he seemed to be honestly reporting what his ears were hearing, but his writing is suffused with such absurd ideas that it's often difficult not to dismiss him.

• Jazz Masterpieces   5 days 22 hours ago

You're right. What's the fun in following a guru? People may think Scaruffi is an expert in rock music. But he's no expert in jazz and certainly no expert in classical music (not to mention cinema).
    Bix Beiderbecke, Jelly Roll Morton and Earl Hines are really interesting pianists from the early days of jazz. Check out a youtube video of Earl Hines explaining his piano style. I've played piano since I was a kid, but I can't play jazz yet.

• Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time (Classical, Rock & Jazz) [under major revisions]   5 days 23 hours ago

Hey, been a while - was hoping you could explain how you determine what qualifies for this list..

It seems that you have included "irreducible units", meaning albums that don't have tracks, suites that must be considered on the whole, or individual songs that aren't suited.

By that logic, I feel that Zappa's Absolutely Free's first side contains an intro (Plastic People) and two suites (the Duke one and the Vegetables one). Are you saying that they are musically bound together into a supersuite? I don't hear any commonalities between them or bridges or anything. Do you mean just the fact that the whole first is titled as if it's one thing? To me it's like that was just for fun (and by that logic you could do the same for Astral Week's "In the Beginning" and "Afterwrds", although I think that was the producer's idea)

Also, I don't believe that the fact that the second side is bookended by versions of America Drinks makes that all one composition either. Is it the preponderance of Stravinsky quotes throughout.. or again just the unified title for side 2 or something else?

I definitely see the point with the way you divided The Parable Of Arable Land. All of the freakouts on side one dually function as an end to a "song" and a beginning of a new one, effectively making the whole side one big sandwich. Then side 2 breaks the pattern by not starting with a "song" or a continuation of the last freakout, but with a new freakout, thereby starting a new "track". Then the last 2 bits of the album are separate from this sandwich. So there are 3 "tracks".

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   6 days 15 hours ago

I watched a movie a few years a go and I can't remember the name I am hoping you can help me. It was direct to tv and was about a teenaged boy that had a human mother but his father was a monster the name of the type of monster started with a K, he had scales, and he looked like a dragon. The word fire was somewhere in the title. Please help if you can it was on ether disney or nickelodeon.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   6 days 17 hours ago

Thnks for reply.
    OK im founded one. The anime is "THE WORLD OF TALISMAN" & the jap vers is "Birth"

The other actually its separate title.im still searching... i add more- the ship in the sky is like a sail/pirate ship.the guy chase his gf spirit but could not make it.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   6 days 17 hours ago

Maybe Toward the Terra?

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   6 days 18 hours ago

im searching this anime for about 20 years now

what i remember is (i think) its a compilation of short animes into one full movie.of of them that i remember is

-a gigantic sphere robots (i think its red & sandy color) chasing bikers & jeep containing characters- in a desert (quite funny chapter)

-other stories - (drama type) is about a guy chasing his died wife/GF soul that turns to swallow (bird) & it goes to a pirate ship in the sky.something that all died soul goes to there

im very2 need ur help to detect what is the title of the anime...