• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 hour 6 min ago

I guess the dead musicians who made them sure knew how to make future generations talk about their work.

I think of great music as an aural record of organized sounds with the potential to reach everybody and have a positive, inspiring and enjoyable effect that won't diminish with repeated listening. The Choral, West End Blues and I Heard it Through the Grapevine are good examples of this.

I'd be glad to know your response to any of my previous queries and question that haven't responded to, not counting the repeated talks about emotional depth of course. By now it's clear that I don't follow your criteria or think it's particularly good. Also the math that you use is very old for the task of evaluating art. I highly recommend "fuzzy logic" for analysis of art. It's a much smoother ride with far more practical results.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   6 hours 49 min ago

No, I've seen The Big Lebowski, but your allusion to it flew over my head in the midst of all this hubbub about The Beatles and Beethoven and the depths of emotional depth that we're going in-depth about.

Like I said during your various queries and counters, I am NOT interested in changing your opinion on Revolver. I am merely responding. I could care less if you rank The Beatles 1000 or 1 on your lists. I think this started with me simply asking what about it made you rank it that high, me responding with how I felt, and then ... here we are. Ho hum. Tomorrow never knows, just a day in the life.

That's a helluva monumental top 3 by the way (not that I don't love most of the rest too).

• The Greatest Albums Ever   7 hours 6 min ago

The Beatles music, indeed, was not about depth/emotional/conceptual weight, I agree. The missing point is that others, during that same time period, did stretch rock music into the same scope/depth/breadth, etc, as classical music. Bob Dylan added much needed erudition, emotional/conceptual weight to the genre across albums such as Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde, and especially with works such as Like a Rolling Stone, and even more so with Desolation Row, and then especially in reaching a wholly metaphysical realm -- bordering on the supernatural -- with Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands. Pink Floyd, with suites such as Interstellar Overdrive and Saucerful of Secrets. The Doors, with Light My Fire, The End, and When the Music's Over. Red Crayola with Parable of Arable Land. Frank Zappa with an endless barrage of compositional diversity and practically entire albums running gamuts of emotions/concepts/gags heretofore unseen. The Velvet Underground with their first album and Sister Ray. Van Morrison with Astral Weeks, Tim Buckley with his late-60's/early-70's works. Klaus Schulze, not long after, with Irrlicht and Cyborg... And so forth. And then there's jazz artists, most prominently Charles Mingus with the titanic Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, and his gargantuan Epitaph, and others. John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis, Carla Bley, Sun Ra, Cecil Taylor, Anthony Braxton... All these artists match up to the great classical masters in either intricacy and ingenuity and depth of composition and/or the titanic urges and emotional outpourings of their symphonies/greatest works.

Though it's almost impossible to prove (or maybe just too time consuming), I really disagree that The Beatles importance on rock music is even close to that of Beethoven's on classical (and the rest of music). If one removes The Beatles from the 60's, not nearly as much changes for rock as the massive void that is left to the following decades/century if one were to remove Beethoven. Infact, I can't think of a single significant artist (by my definition, meaning those that created the most singular works and advanced the genre) whose works wouldn't remain in their entirety -- or at least, virtual entirety -- if one removed The Beatles.

In my opinion emotional depth is produced, basically, by emotional conviction being expressed in a singular way. It could be viewed as the degree or extension of expression, insight, experience, present in the work; the level of immersion, of its musical environment. The performer is responsible for the conveyance, while the listener definitely plays a part in really listening!

• The Greatest Albums Ever   7 hours 13 min ago

Oh, you haven't watched The Big Lebowski.

Back to the matter at hand: For now Revolver definitely stays in my top 50 (no shit!). Worst case scenario: I'll add all the compilations I want to add and it might move to 50-100. Unless, of course, I suddenly find out that they stole their music or something. Unlikely, don't you think?

About the whole idea of "emotional depth": I get that Revolver's not meaningful enough for you. It is for me. The depth of a work of art highly depends on the listener. And here I don't mean the listener's ability to understand said work (after listening to thousands of albums it's unlikely that any of us have serious problems with that), but the listener's personality and perspective. Now if in your perspective it's possible to measure and rank the "depth" (I'm starting to hate this word), then godspeed. If your personality is too cool for the Beatles, well good for you, buddy. And I'm not saying that because I don't completely disagree with you, but because you have the right to have your opinion and I'm not one to even imply that you shouldn't have it. Just don't expect me to value your opinion as much as you do. I have my own opinion. And get this: I'm not copying anybody. Put yourself in my shoes and you'll see how content I am with the whole thing. I made this page to, hopefully, promote great albums and discuss them with fellow music lovers. It's NOT a place to hate on certain albums.

That doesn't mean that my opinions won't change or that I don't care about yours. But if you want to get your points across, comparing Revolver to other albums that I've heard and saying that they're better is such a bad idea. It makes no sense. I've heard them. I think Revolver is better.

About the Scaruffi fan club thing, I'm sorry but as long as you keep bringing his opinions up, that is my only logical answer. I suppose if a Beatles fan kept bringing the Beatles up, I would give the same answer. The difference is, Beatles fans already have many forums and message boards. It's fun. It's healthy. Go for it.

Anyway, my recent overactivity on Listology comes to an end today. Truth is, I quit my previous lame job around 1.5 months ago and between looking for jobs, composing my music and partying with my friends, there was still a considerable amount of free time on my hands. I'm starting my new job tomorrow and it seems to be a pretty good one, and I've begun recording my music. So there'll be very few updates from me for a while, despite the fact that I really like to write about these albums, specially the top 50. But replying to comments such as yours provides me an opportunity to write bits and pieces that I'll use later. I stand by all my choices. Go ahead. Try me!

• The Greatest Albums Ever   10 hours 30 min ago

Could The Beatles compose something as great as Beethoven's best works?
    This hypothetical exercise is corrupted from the get go. Classical/erudite music back in the 19th century wasn't restricted to the closed niche it is now. It was the mainstream framework you worked in if you studied music. You can't expect to find the same structures, scope, or values of 19th century classical music in 20th century rock music. The Beatles worked in and shaped the incipient aesthetic framework of the music from THEIR time. Rock music, especially around the time we're talking about (very important!), wasn't about depth/weight/perfection, it was about energy, liberation, carelessness, etc. This means a rock song will never be as complex or intricate because that's contradictory to its essence and principles. This isn't that obvious to you or Scaruffi, it seems. In my opinion, these century-travelling value judgements/competitions are meaningless. They're fine for lists but can't teach us anything. Lacking a meaningful basis for discussion, we're left with empty words like "great" or "profound" to play this game with.
    But there's one thing we can actually compare, and that's the importance of the Beatles in both the historical and the artistic development of rock music to that of Beethoven in classical music. I'd say they're close. I'll be the first to say Beethoven's genius is far greater than Lennon or McCartney's. It's hard to find a more revolutionary talent than Beethoven's but the impact of the Beatles in their own field was just as big (for one thing rock music history is considerably shorter, "classical" is a broad term anyways). Remember that in 1963 rock was dead and they brought it back to life in a completely new fashion and kept reiventing it till 1967 at an impressive speed. Scaruffi says merchandizing did everything and I'll say that is a very easy, wrong and presumptuous assumption (the ignorant masses never know, do they?).

As for American Idol contestants conveying more emotional/conceptual depth than the Beatles I don't know what to say to that. I don't even know what emotional depth is. Is that part of the work or the performer? Maybe it's in the listener.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   17 hours 8 min ago

Of course! As is all of this from each of us...

• The Greatest Albums Ever   19 hours 29 min ago

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   19 hours 38 min ago

Ill admit that was a good one ... However, its a thousand times more likely that he could pull it off than The Beatles composing works on the order of Beethoven's 9th or Mahler's 9th or Tristan und Isolde, or Escalator Over the Hill, or Trout Mask Replica, etc :-)

The following is not meant as a joke but: You could link up to my "Best American Idol/X Factor" list and many accompanying YouTube links to those ones and run across several amateur/budding professional vocalists performing just as great/better than most of the Beatles famous works -- with just as much/more emotional/conceptual depth conveyed. However, you could also search relentlessly for the next hundred years and be very hard pressed to find a single person that could come up with a symphony or piano sonata, etc, on the order of Beethoven's best works, no matter how musically gifted they were, no matter how learned, no matter their scope of musical knowledge, no matter how practiced they were and no matter their degree of genius.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   19 hours 54 min ago

"The Beatles broke up because they were idealistic enough to be convinced of their historical mission and realistic enough to know they were no longer capable of carrying it forward. The Beatles broke up because they didn't see or care that the corporate life of a rock group could endure long after its collective life was kaput. The Beatles broke up because the couple is a more stable structure than the four-way. The Beatles broke up because three of them believed they were geniuses and only one of them was. The Beatles broke up because they thought they were immortal. The Beatles broke up because they couldn't stand each other anymore." -- Robert Christgau

Christina Rees has an amusing theory about how it was written.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 7 hours ago

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 8 hours ago

Lololololololzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... zzz ... zzzzzzz

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 9 hours ago

The live debate would be amusing to watch, specially with the accents and all... But I'd probably just thank him for the website and exchange some music. Or I can sell you my seat. Does 20 bucks sound good?

I'm just kidding. You can have it for free.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 9 hours ago

I like his reviews of Entroducing..... and Arcade Fire a lot too. Recently I've found this to be a very good and easy way to discover albums.

I can't find the six sentences about The Beatles. Are they part of Living Without The Beatles?

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 9 hours ago

The interview is pretty good. I couldn't find anything other than that short all-blues list either.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 9 hours ago

You guys really have it in for him! More amusing than a fan forum would be if you got him to join a live debate with the both of you, and then you guys could finally really let him have it!

Contrary to your perception, I dont pay much attention to him and have no idea if he has a fan forum page or not. I find the music/film/visual art portions of his site useful for my purposes here, and that's about it. Over the years, Ive emailed him back and forth a handful of times. Ive run across his twitter page before.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 9 hours ago

I dig the same things you do with Tombstone Blues. Has several of Dylan's -- rock music's -- greatest lines/paragraphs. As far as my favorites on the album, I would probably place it just behind Ballad of a Thin Man in fourth place.

Re: Short songs ... I dont have too much trouble accurately placing shorter songs alongside the longer ones when they're 7.3+; its just rare to find a song less than 6 min that produces enough emotional/conceptual depth to rate 7.3 or higher. There's only a handful of them on my list.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 day 10 hours ago

I get what you mean about the difficulty of ranking shorter songs together with long pieces. It's impossible and it won't make sense anyway. A few week ago I started to make a greatest songs list that I gave up on for the same reason.

Tombstone Blues might be my favorite from the album. The speed freak vibe coupled with the fantastically bizarre lyrics make it priceless. But I too think that none of its songs are among the best of all time (except perhaps maybe Desolation Row) and they work much better as a whole.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 10 hours ago

If he can't write that 3-minute pop "ditty", ask him to play a chord.

Say, does Scaruffi have a message board? A forum for fans? You can easily create one if you like to. It would be a nice idea to gather all the love and put it in one place.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 12 hours ago

Ask Scaruffi to write a 3-minute pop "ditty".

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 13 hours ago

Several of his 80's works are excellent imo (for a non-professional). I haven't spent much time perusing his poetry (only really thoroughly read some of his early ones) or gone through the rest, but the few others I've seen were pretty good. Of course you have the right to judge and have your own opinion, as does Rio Bravo.

I actually wouldn't mind the whole critical enterprise doing some sinking :-)

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 13 hours ago

Naw, his poetry is def really banal imo. If being better is central to passing judgement then the whole critical enterprise is sunk.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 14 hours ago

Re: Neil Young and other pages ... I agree

Re: Poetry ... Really? You've done better? I'm not saying he's T.S. Eliot (and I'm sure he'd agree) but he's won several international awards for his poetry.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 16 hours ago

Scaruffi is indeed capable of good descriptions of an artist's music (his page on Neil Young comes to mind). His poetry, on the other hand, is a bit embarrassing. It's Neil Peart writing about the countryside.

• "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die"   1 day 17 hours ago

Thanks Joachim, I'll get onto that.

• One Hit Wonders: 1970-1979   2 days 11 hours ago

Please add my personal favorite, "White Lies Blue Eyes" by Bullet (their only Top 40 hit) from 1972.