• Spam Patrol   9 hours 26 min ago

2014-04-06: 45 accounts, 01 comments, 1 pages
    2014-04-05: 54 accounts
    2014-04-04: 95 accounts, 01 comments, 6 pages
    2014-04-03: 47 accounts, 04 comments
    2014-04-02: 36 accounts
    2014-04-01: 120 accounts, 00 comments, 23 pages

• List of Oscar nominated actors and actresses by date of death   1 day 3 hours ago

Available on Netflix for the five last
    Bold means Oscar nominated role
    Bold caps means Oscar winning role
    * means recommended movie

MICKEY ROONEY
    - Leave 'em Laughing, 1981 (USA)
    - The Black Stallion, 1979 (Bra) *
    - The Cockeyed Cowboys of Calico County, 1970 (USA)
    - Breakfast at Tiffany's, 1961 (Can, Bra, Mex) *
    - The Last Mile, 1959 (USA)
    - The Bridges at Toko-Ri, 1954 (UK, Ire) *

PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN
    - A Late Quartet, 2012 (USA, Can, UK, Ire) *
    - The Master, 2012 (Bra, Mex, Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - The Ides of March, 2011 (Nor) *
    - Moneyball, 2011 (Can) *
    - Jack Goes Boating, 2010 (Can)
    - Pirate Radio, 2009 (Can)
    - Doubt, 2008 (Bra, Mex) *
    - Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, 2007 (Bra, Mex) *
    - Mission: Impossible III, 2006 (Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - CAPOTE, 2005 (USA, UK, Ire) *
    - Strangers With Candy, 2005 (Nor, Swe, Den, Fin)
    - Along Came Polly, 2004 (UK, Ire)
    - Cold Mountain, 2003 (Bra, Mex, Nor, Den, Fin) *
    - Punch-Drunk Love, 2002 (USA, Can) *
    - Red Dragon, 2002 (Bra, Mex) *
    - Almost Famous, 2000 (Bra, Mex) *
    - Flawless, 1999 (Bra, Mex)
    - The Talented Mr Ripley, 1999 (USA, Can, UK, Ire, Bra, Mex, Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - The Big Lebowski, 1998 (Bra, Mex) *
    - Next Stop Wonderland, 1998 (Bra, Mex)
    - Boogie Nights, 1997 (Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - Nobody's Fool, 1994 (USA) *
    - When a Man Loves a Woman, 1994 (UK, Ire) *
    - Leap of Faith, 1992 (USA, UK, Ire)

MAXIMILIAN SCHELL
    - House of Sleeping Beauties, 2006 (USA)
    - Vampires, 1998 (Bra, Mex)
    - The Rose Garden, 1989 (Mex)
    - A Bridge Too Far, 1977 (Nor, Swe, Den, Fin) *
    - Julia, 1977 (Can) *

JUANITA MOORE
    - Papa's Delicate Condition, 1963 (UK, Ire)
    - Imitation of Life, 1959 (USA, Bra, Mex) *

JOAN FONTAINE
    - Jane Eyre, 1944 (USA) *
    - The Duke of West Point, 1938 (USA)

• Jazz Masterpieces   1 day 18 hours ago

Thanks. I'm getting tired of Scaruffi-like lists so I tried to do a less random/self-centered list and one that premiated some things other than eccentricity and dissonance. I also tried to learn some jazz history and the early jazz language. At this time the classics from the 30s and 40s give me much more musically than any Scaruffi-picked oddity. That said I think you would really enjoy Billy Harper's Capra Black, which is overwhelming.

• Funniest Movies of All Time   1 day 21 hours ago

Gotta be Robin Hood: Men in Tights for me or Austin Powers....

• My Favorite Music   2 days 17 hours ago

A nice dose of punk rock is always good for the soul :) By the way, I've started to appreciate Pere Ubu much more than before. Listened to the New Picnic Time and my jaw was dropping during many part, specially One Less Worry. What a glorious mess!

• Rock Giants : Best Bands   2 days 17 hours ago

First of all, I too think that Monster Walks the Winter Lake is gorgeous, and the title track is an unbelievable masterpiece. I might even add that album to my Best Rock Albums list.
    The Art of Walking ... well I had little problem getting into it after the 5th or 6th time I heard it. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as rewarding as it is challenging, and "Lost In Art" is a disaster. It's a good album though, and I love "Go" and "Birdies" and "Horses" in particular. Bailing Man and Tenement Year are nice records but I'm sure almost nobody has ever listed them among the greatest rock albums. Ray Gun is imho the best album of late-period Pere Ubu, but the distance between Ray Gun and Modern Dance is equal to the distance between Candy Apple Grey and Zen Arcade.

That leaves New Picnic Time. I actually suspect it might be a masterpiece. The last time I heard it in it's entirety (about 3 years ago) I was mesmerized with half of it and confused about the other half. It certainly was haunting ("Goodbye" and "The Fabulous Sequel" were stuck in my head for weeks). I decided that Picnic was "too unique and way too depressive" so I decided to wait until the right time to listen to it again. Around the same time I discovered David Thomas' solo records and fell in love with Monster and forgot all about Picnic. I guess now is the best time for me to revisit New Picnic Time. I hope it's every bit as good as you describe it. If I rate it higher than 8.5/10 (and Dub Housing higher than 8/10) I'll add Pere Ubu to this list.

By the way, didn't the fantastic original atonal synthesizer sound of Modern Dance become a cliche after being used to death on every other Pere Ubu album? And I wish they were brave enough not to be so "necessarily avant-garde" all the time. Pretentiousness isn't a virtue, even if one can totally pull it off.

----

Update : I listened to New Picnic Time today and it was surprisingly much better than I always used to think it is. It makes so much sense now, and I don't think of the record as depressing or confusing anymore. In fact, I think It may become one of my all-time favourites soon. Pere Ubu are up there in the list.

• Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Drummers   3 days 4 hours ago

I guess they never heard of Buddy Rich...dah? Most rock drummers don't hold a candle to him.

• Popular Music Masterpieces : 50 Best Albums   3 days 7 hours ago

I have only heard the first two albums but yeah, I can tell they're not represented well. From Good alone, my favourite track, Good, didn't make it, plus Saddest Song, Claire, Unto Your Grave, Other Side and I Know You.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   3 days 9 hours ago

I think "królestwo zielonej polany" the story seems right but I doubt it went out of Poland

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   3 days 9 hours ago

Maybe "glo friends" or "Broučci"

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   3 days 10 hours ago

Maybe episode of Les Jules... Chienne de Vie! But rather not.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   3 days 10 hours ago

100% sure:
    Peter in Magicland

• Movie Log   3 days 16 hours ago

I need help I've been trying to figure out what this movie is called for months now I use to watch it as a kid all I remember is a girl and a guy and a bad lady who turned people into stone its an animated movie towards the end the girl tries to save the guy and he got turned into stone and there was little creatures not sure what they were but they weren't animals more I don't know the word but not gnomes either I think. that's all I remember please help me its driving me crazy

• Popular Music Masterpieces : 50 Best Albums   3 days 19 hours ago

I think the first 3 Morphine albums (which the compilation doesn't represent well enough) are all great from start to finish. So I've listed them in Honorable Mentions.

• My Favorite Music   3 days 20 hours ago

It is simply an excellent set of rock songs. I really like the complexity in them, such that they hold up very well after repeated listening.

• Popular Music Masterpieces : 50 Best Albums   4 days 2 hours ago

You don't like The Best of Morphine or just don't know about it?

• Popular Music Masterpieces : 50 Best Albums   4 days 20 hours ago

No but I've listened to the awesome Greatests Hits! compilation released in 1966.

• Beatles singles ranked   5 days 4 hours ago

That's very nice to hear :D

I thought Carnival of Light has never been released officially? I've generally avoided it since it would be hard to know whether the particular recording I was listening to was real or not. I would love to hear it too (and hope it's anywhere near R9 quality).

• My Favorite Music   5 days 4 hours ago

Very surprised to see Radios Appear here. I've always assumed it's just a good little record but I've only listened to half of it many years ago. Gotta listen to the whole thing sometime. What do you like most about it?

• Popular Music Masterpieces : 50 Best Albums   5 days 4 hours ago

That's The Story is just a throwaway IMO, all other tracks on the first three albums are far better. Murder Mystery is awesome though, my fave track on the album besides Candy Says.

As far as I can remember, I've been listening to the Closet Mix only. I might've listened to the remix once or twice, but I never bothered to even form an opinion on it I guess.

Have you listened to the pre-1966 Kinks studio albums?

• Jazz Masterpieces   5 days 5 hours ago

Very nice list. Thumbs up for Out to Lunch and Far East Suite (and many others). I haven't heard half of these albums. It would be cool if you rank them or highlight the best.

• Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Drummers   5 days 7 hours ago

• Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Drummers   5 days 7 hours ago

Alright, the Rev.
    Jimmy seems to get a lot of shit about his "lack of talent" and "sucky skill." I fail to see how untalented the man was. He wrote most of the band's good songs (Critical Acclaim, A Little Piece of Heaven, etc.) which is talent enough on it's own. You think just writing an 8 minute song, nay, story, along with an orchestral arrangement, playing a solid drum beat and singing, and managing to not lose a beat isn't talented, go fuck yourself. Hell, just writing a song in general takes large amounts of talent. A Little Piece of Heaven and his work with Pinkly Smooth shows how creative the guy was, never afraid to do something new. If you doubt his skill, listen to "The Beast and the Harlot" off their 3rd album. Only a moron could say "lul that drumming suckZ" in the song. He wasn't just a drummer, he was an actual musician, unlike most drummers nowadays. I'll finish here by when you say I'm a "gay7x fanboy," I am a fan of Avenged. However, I listen to anything ranging from Dire Straits to Rush to Pantera. Hate here all you want, you don't have to agree. It's called "comments" for a reason,

• Beatles singles ranked   5 days 16 hours ago

This made a pretty sweet WMP playlist :)

To be honest it's been ages since I heard For Sale and hard Day's Night from start to finish. I can't make a decent version of either of them right now. My version of help! is the same as yours except that I'll omit Yes It Is.

I really should hear The New Mary-Jane and You Know My Name. Oh and I would love to hear Carnival of Light. I've read really interesting things about it. how good is that one?

• Popular Music Masterpieces : 50 Best Albums   5 days 17 hours ago

Maybe I'll hear the first 2 Squeeze tracks then. I already know I hate the album though. With that stolen band name and retarded cover art and all :D

That's The Story sounds pretty ok to me. I've liked all the songs on the self-titled for years, except that I still don't know how I exactly feel about Murder Mystery. It has remained damn interesting though, cool idea, nice rhytmic and melodic progressions, and the last two minutes are really amazing.

By the way, the original Closet Mix version of the self-titled (included on the Peel Slowly and See box set) sounds much better than the producer's remix originally released in 1960's.