• Year-by-year music rankings   1 day 6 hours ago

I will listen to Lulu by Metallica/Reed when I come by a copy.

When did There's Nothing Wrong With Love hit you?

The thing about Last is, I own it as a physical record, and I didn't bring my record player or any records to college, so I haven't heard it in a while, and I don't listen to things very many times . . . There are few records I've heard 10 times. I'd almost certainly keep Last at #1 for the 2010s. But best music of all? Even before 1960 it's contending with
    Harry Partch. The Wayward.
    Giuseppe Verdi. Requiem.
    Olivier Messiaen. Vingt regards sur l’enfant-Jésus.
    Gustav Mahler. Symphony No. 9.
    Miles Davis. Kind of Blue.
    Hurrian Hymn to Nikkal.
    Johann Sebastian Bach. Mass in B Minor.
    Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky. Pictures at an Exhibition.
    Béla Bartók. Violin Concerto No. 1.
    Olivier Messiaen. Turangulila-Symphonie.
    My point is it will be a while before I can say for sure what my favorite piece of all time is. Last is certainly a strong contender though.

• The Greatest Movie Stars To Die Young   2 days 3 hours ago

Here are the unmentioned Oscar nominated actors who died before 50:

Brandon De Wilde (30), Susan Pieters (31), Nick Adams (36), Bobby Darin (37), Sal Mineo (37), Michael Dunn (38), Jeanne Eagels (39), John Garfield (39), Massimo Troisi (41), Jeff Chandler (42), Dorothy Dandridge (42), Mary Ure (42), Judy Holliday (43), Victor Buono (43), Elizabeth Hartman (43), Rupert Crosse (45), Laurence Harvey (45), Alice Brady (46), Howard E. Rollins Jr (46), Grace Moore (48), Maggie McNamara (48), Joan Hackett (49), Leonard Frey (49), Leslie Howard (50), Gladys George (50), and Margaret Sullavan (50).

• Year-by-year music rankings   3 days 3 hours ago

There's Nothing Wrong With Love is in a league of its own as well.

I want so much to hear everything you've rated for the decade. Is Last still at the top of the decade? And all decades too?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 days 2 hours ago

Update: Has some good tracks, but yeah, I pretty much agree with Scaruffi here, though I'd say "crap" was a bit harsh :-)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 days 14 hours ago

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm listening to it now and it's solid stuff. I like the first track and I definitely recognize track #2 (Crazy).

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 days 14 hours ago

Thanks, I haven't listened to it yet but from what I read about it, it sounds like a similar project to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. How does it compare to it, qualitatively?

You're right about Scaruffi. I usually agree with him sooner or later, even when there's a separation in opinion to begin with.

Perhaps the easiest way to estimate if Ill rate an album 7.3/10+ would be if one compared it to like selections on my list. For instance, maybe comparing the Gnarls Barkley to Miseducation of Lauryn Hill to see if its equal or better. Or, comparing a more straight up hip hop album to The Cold Vein. Or a pop album to Murmur or The Stone Roses or Marry Me. Etc.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   4 days 23 hours ago

Update 32 - 22 November

Mightysparks has caught up movie logging to go up 95 films and leaping to 6th place, moving into the 1 or more films per day, and ensuring a place in that group ... all in one swell foop. And I made sure there was no unexpected duplication like happened to Kaplan. Speaking of whom, Kaplan snuggled up to McJoJo to share 8th. Those two were the only position changes. However, of note is that both schwabe and mattmakins have had no updates for at least the last 8 updates. We miss their updates and hope things are OK with them.

Top watchers (alphabetically) guaranteed to not fall out of the 1 or more movies per day slot are: dashforcover, guardianryoga, mightysparks, Puzzgal, schwabe, and te18.

As a group we logged 195 movies since the last update for a total of 6176 films. For the next update on 29 November, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 333 and 666 (uh oh, for the superstitious), respectively. Happy viewing and see you next time! God willin' and creek don't rise.

• Bands That I Have Seen   4 days 23 hours ago

So many great shows, all the time. I have been going to shows forever it seems and still continue. I am definitely a bit more selective in my shows than I used to be.

• Clone of TSPDT - The 1,000 Greatest films (by ranking).   5 days 1 hour ago

Wow! It will take long time to go through all the movies. Luckily I had went through some of them. Planning to spend a good time.

• Playing is much more paying at this specific online gambling web site when compared to many other australian gambling and they're actually exciting and fascinating likewise.
  • Best Songs: The Beatles / Jimi Hendrix / Led Zeppelin / Nirvana / Pink Floyd / Radiohead / The Rolling Stones   5 days 6 hours ago

Thanks, I haven't listened to Led Zepp III in a long time, but will be revisiting soon. I believe I felt that was the best song so it is highly probable I'll add it.

Since I've Been Loving You

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   5 days 8 hours ago

Jumpers climbing the list this season:

Andreas Wellinger (Up 2 places, from 57 to 55)
    Johann Andre Forfang (New on list, from xx to 100)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   5 days 9 hours ago

Another recommendation: St. Elsewhere - Gnarls Barkley (2006). It's gotten critical acclaim (if that means anything), but seeing that you say your tastes are similar to Scaruffi's, aside from some standout songs, he says "the rest of the album is pure crap [sic]".

Make of that what you will. Hope it sounds good, though.

• 500 biggest cities in USA   5 days 21 hours ago

1. New York, New York
    - Named after The Duke of York (later King James II)

2. Los Angeles, California
    - Named after the Virgin Mary, The Queen of the Angels

3. Chicago, Illinois
    - Named after a French rendering of Native American word shikaakwa, probably meaning wild garlic

4. Houston, Texas
    - Named after General Sam Houston, President of the Republic of Texas

5. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    - Named after the Greek words for brotherly love, philos adelphos

6. Phoenix, Arizona
    - Named after Phoenix, the mythical bird who rose from the ashes of its predecessor

7. San Antonio, Texas
    - Named after Saint Anthony of Padua, a Portuguese priest

8. San Diego, California
    - Named after Saint Didacus of Alcalá, a Spanish missionary

9. Dallas, Texas
    - Unknown, probably named after politician George Mifflin Dallas, Navy captain Alexander James Dallas, statesman Alexander James Dallas, settler Joseph Dallas, city founder John Neely Bryan's unidentified friend Dallas, the Scottish Gaelic word Dalais meaning Valley of Water, or simply a town-naming contest

10. San Jose, California
    - Named after Saint Joseph, the father or foster father of Jesus Christ

11. Austin, Texas
    - Named after Stephen F. Austin, an American entrepreneur

12. Indianapolis, Indiana
    - Named after the state of Indiana and the Greek word for city, polis

13. Jacksonville, Florida
    - Named after Andrew Jackson, the 7th President of USA

14. San Francisco, California
    - Named after Francis of Assisi, an Italian friar

15. Charlotte, North Carolina
    - Named after Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Queen of United Kingdom and Ireland

16. Fort Worth, Texas
    - Named after American military officer William Jenkins Worth

17. Columbus, Ohio
    - Named after Christopher Columbus, the Italian explorer

18. Detroit, Michigan
    - Named after the French words for the strait of Lake Erie, le détroit du lac Érié

19. El Paso, Texas
    - Named after the Spanish words for pass, being founded at an important mountain pass

20. Seattle, Washington
    - Named after Chief Si'Ahl of the Duwamish tribe

21. Denver, Colorado
    - Named after American politician James W. Denver

22. Washington, DC
    - Named after George Washington, the 1st President of USA

23. Memphis, Tennessee
    - Named after the ancient capital of Egypt

24. Nashville, Tennessee
    - Named after Francis Nash, an American military officer

25. Baltimore, Maryland
    - Named after Cecil Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore, the first proprietor of the Maryland colony

26. Boston, Massachusetts
    - Named after the English town of Boston, Lincolnshire

27. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    - Named after the State of Oklahoma

28. Portland, Oregon
    - Named after Portland, Maine

29. Las Vegas, Nevada
    - Named after the Spanish words for the meadows, because of the wild grass growing there

30. Louisville, Kentucky
    - Named after Louis XIV, King of France

31. Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    - Named after the Potawatomi or the Ojibwe word for gathering place by the water, minwaking or ominowakiing

32. Albuquerqee, New Mexico
    - Named after Francisco Fernández de la Cueva, 8th Duke of Alburquerque, a Spanish military officer

33. Tucson, Arizona
    - Named after the O'odham word for at the base of the black hill, Cuk Son, referencing a nearby basalt-covered hill

34. Fresno, California
    - Named after the Spanish word for ash tree

35. Kansas City, Missouri
    - Named after the Kansas River

36. Sacramento, California
    - Named after the Sacramento River

37. Long Beach, California
    - Named after the Los Angeles based company Long Beach Land and Water Company

38. Virginia Beach, Virginia
    - Named after the Virginia Colony and the beach by the city

39. Colorado Springs, Colorado
    - Named after the State of Colorado and the three natural mineral springs nearby the city

40. Atlanta, Georgia
    - Named after the Atlantic Ocean

41. Mesa, Arizona
    - Named after the Spanish word for table, mesa, after the nearby tableland hills

42. Omaha, Nebraska
    - Named after the Omaha Native American tribe

43. Raleigh, North Carolina
    - Named after Walter Raleigh, an English writer and explorer

44. Miami, Florida
    - Named after the Miami River

45. Minneapolis, Minnesota
    - Named after the Dakota Sioux word for water, mni, and the Greek word for city, polis

46. Tulsa, Oklahoma
    - Named after the Creek word for old town, tallasi

47. Cleveland, Ohio
    - Named after General Moses Cleaveland

48. Oakland, California
    - Named after the large oak forest of the area

49. Wichita, Kansas
    - Named after the Wichita Native American tribe

50. Arlington, Texas
    - Named after Arlington House, the Robert E. Lee Memorial in Arlington, Virginia

• Best Radiohead songs   6 days 1 hour ago

Nice! :-)

• Set Your Life to Music titles   6 days 4 hours ago

Bach for Bachelor pads

• Set Your Life to Music titles   6 days 5 hours ago

My comment is really late but I just found your wonderful list. I have a few of these CDs and I love them.

You are missing
    Mozart for a Merry Christmas
    Handel for the Holidays

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 2   1 week 38 min ago

+Children of God

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 6   1 week 38 min ago

Original Sin
    Cyclops Nuclear Submarine Captain
    +Zen Arcade

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 3   1 week 38 min ago

Modern Dance
    The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 week 9 hours ago

Thanks dude!

• Best Songs: The Beatles / Jimi Hendrix / Led Zeppelin / Nirvana / Pink Floyd / Radiohead / The Rolling Stones   1 week 1 day ago

Thanks, Ill see if I can squeeze them in sometime. I'll have to re-listen to Pablo Honey. Been quite a while... Ill probably get to it soon to see if any are deserving of this list.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 1 day ago

Good to hear Fontanelle is getting a little better for you. Looking forward to how it plays out next time.

Re: TMR ... I thought it was a pretty ridiculous joke of an album on initial listens. It wasn't until I got into experimental/free jazz that I much more rapidly started loving it. This was probably a natural extension from favorites A Love Supreme and Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. The albums that probably helped the most, along with repeated listens of TMR itself, were: Shape of Jazz to Come & Free Jazz (Ornette Coleman); Out To Lunch (Eric Dolphy); Spiritual Unity (Albert Ayler); Saxophone Improvisations & For Alto (Anthony Braxton); above all, listening to Beefhearts other great albums, which aren't quite as intimidating, especially: Safe as Milk, Mirror Man, Lick My Decals Off Baby, Shiny Beast. Also, Pere Ubu albums (all the ones on my list), and many others, can be helpful. Pop Group, Chrome, Royal Trux, Frank Zappa...

Depends on you really. I imagine you'll still find them interesting, as you like Amnesiac.
    Also, The Daily Mail (a non-album single from the King of Limbs era) is a pretty good re-write of You and Whose Army.
    What are your favourite tracks from Pablo Honey btw?

Are any of the B-sides as good/better than what Ive listed here?