• Albums I've Burnt Out/Outgrown to Various Extents   1 hour 1 min ago

Divers sounds good to me under certain mindsets. The songs are all beautiful, and I feel as though she was trying new things as a musician. However, the whole project seems overthought (she mixed some of the tracks more than 20 times; the lyrics are grand and interesting, but sometimes in context they feel cringeworthy, such as in the climax of Sapokanikan; the production tricks feel like a shell that keeps the listener apart, unlike the relatively raw and stripped-down production of the first three albums).

Carrie & Lowell is endearing to me, because Stevens is singing about his life without the guise of some other topic (such as on Michigan and Illinois). Musically the songs feel more limited. It sounds good with the atmospheric production, but it can get boring quickly.

• My Favorite Hip-Hop Songs (as of 5/2016)   11 hours 25 min ago

Cool to see. Ill have to check out some of the ones I haven't heard.

• My Favorite Music   13 hours 26 min ago

The structure of the compositions, the intensity and range of emotions expressed, the cyclical nature of the album, and the philosophical lyrics about humanity's place in space and time (and I normally don't care at all about lyrics) are simply incredible to me. Here is an interview that illuminates some of it: http://www.rookiemag.com/2015/10/joanna-newsom-interview/

• Greatest Rock Albums   13 hours 37 min ago

This interview gives incredible insight on the album's themes, composition, and connectedness of the songs: http://www.rookiemag.com/2015/10/joanna-newsom-interview/ Having listened to it a few hundred times so far, I think it is one of the greatest albums of all time.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   21 hours 44 min ago

I love both of them, I'm not totally sure yet which. I'd probably say the second part but I need to listen to the album more. Overall, I might even like it more than Transition (even though Apotheosis is probably the best track between the two).

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   23 hours 15 min ago

Which part of Colours of Time do you like better? I love the first part but for some reason the second part bores me pretty easily.

• Music Notes   23 hours 20 min ago

That Coldplay video was easily one the best I've ever seen. Wow.

Turtle Dreams is one of Monk's best pieces and that video is basically a minimalist surreal movie. It needs to be watched with graet focus and attention but it pays off with a really bizarre sense of time warp that can get a firm grip on the subconscious. I think both the composition and the video very dreamy and deeply bittersweet at that. The paradox of the turtle and her dream is symbolic of a timeless universal struggle.

Regarding your question, I'll eventually list my other favorite music videos here in this page, but off the top of my head I remember liking OutKast's Ms. Jackson (and a few other OutKast videos), Autechre's Gantz Graf, 2Pac's Hit 'Em Up (hard to imagine a better diss video), Cat Power's Cross Bones Style (I absolutely love her in that video).

• Music Notes   1 day 20 min ago

Yeah but not in a Kardashian kind of way. It's a borderline surreal documentary with loads of great live performances in between the super awkward footage. There's a mind blowing version of Something Against You, and a whole segment about their drummer's alcohol and pill problems that me and another Pixies-loving friend used to watch and it made us laugh our asses off for some reason... Good times!

P.S. I just assumed you haven't seen it. Have you?

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 1   1 day 2 hours ago

For now my votes go: Ramones/Exile on Main St./Songs of Leonard Cohen/Call Me/Horses/+Taking Tiger Mountain/+Velvet Underground/Revolver/Hosianna Mantra/Junkyard

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 2   1 day 2 hours ago

Ziggy Stardust/Spirit of Eden/A Rainbow in Curved Air/Desertshore/Endtroducing.../Children of God/Misterioso/Good/Transition/In On The Kill Taker

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 4   1 day 2 hours ago

My votes:
    Music for 18 Musicians
    A Man & the Blues
    Pet Sounds
    Blonde On Blonde
    Half Machine Lip Moves (love both)
    Piper (like both)

Fun House
    Zen Arcade
    Loveless
    Trout Mask Replica
    + Sticky Fingers

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 4   1 day 3 hours ago

I can't edit my comment so here it goes again:

Fishscale
    + A Man & the Blues
    Music for 18 Musicians
    White Light/White Heat
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    The River
    Novus Magnificat
    This Heat (though the Indestructible Beat was an awesome discovery. Thanks, whoever nominated it)

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 3   1 day 18 hours ago

Tago Mago/Karma/Cluster/From Her To Eternity/The Shape of Jazz to Come/The Modern Dance/The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady/The Bells/The Beatles/Remain in Light

1. From Her To Eternity is an awesome album and since the superior Junkyard is already out I'm changing my vote to even it out and let someone else decide.
    2. Just listened to Cluster and Creature Comforts. Funny pairing.
    3. I concede Mu is probably the more sophisticated piece of music but Karma just gives me boundless joy.
    4. I'm really torn between Tago Mago and Y (leaning towards Y right now), but I'm going to keep them tied and let someone else decide.

• Year-by-year music rankings, for the sake of nothing more than organization on my own behalf   1 day 19 hours ago

I notice that the recent years have more entries than the rest (2015 reaches 27). Is this representative of your perspective on music today - is great music more abundant today than ever before? Or do you just happen to know less music from the past years/decades? I find this interesting because it goes against the widespread assumption that music sucks nowadays and new great music is hard to find.

Also, why is Daniil Trifonov namechecked on the list? Are you a fan of his? Because I attended a pretty great concert he gave in Lisbon recently. Very promising pianist indeed.

• Favorite ambient albums   1 day 22 hours ago

Thanks, haven't heard those yet.

• Most Comedic Depth (Film)   2 days 19 hours ago

Ah yes, the Citizen Kane of bad films! :-) One of these days, just to see how bad it really is.

• Most Comedic Depth (Film)   2 days 19 hours ago

Thanks, in terms of sheer hilarity, Holy Grail is tough to beat (maybe the funniest film ever?) but Ill have to re-watch Meaning of Life.

• Greatest Rock Albums   2 days 19 hours ago

Thanks, it looks like you've done a really good job of breaking this down.

• Most Comedic Depth (Film)   2 days 19 hours ago

I haven't seen Holy Grail in a long time, though I remember loving the 'it's just a flesh wound' bit.
    The Meaning of Life is wildly funny partly because they were not limited by an overly intrusive concept. It's just a vague, general theme that links the various sketches together. Paradoxically the film is also holds together better than the other ones (also looks better, has better songs and animations and the Terry Gilliam short in the beggining is brilliant).
    Also, no Jerry Lewis films?

• My favourite albums (rock and jazz)   2 days 22 hours ago

No kidding! I've felt the same on many an occasion.

• Greatest Rock Albums   2 days 22 hours ago

Clasical orchestration and jazz bass give me a highbrow vibe (within the parameters of rock) on the whole when i listen, despite the rootsy folk-rock and soul bedding (unlike Moondance)..and not avant due to the lack of emphasis on innovating..definitely lots of hybrid cases on my list, a limitation of having only 18 categories

• Greatest Rock Albums   2 days 22 hours ago

Astral Weeks sounds like ROOTS to me, or maybe "free roots" or something, or avant or jazz or... but not prog. What makes it prog to you?

• Most Comedic Depth (Film)   2 days 22 hours ago

You guys should watch Ed Wood's magnum opus Plan 9 from Outer Space, famous for being the worst film ever.

• Most Comedic Depth (Film)   3 days 40 min ago

Office Space and Groundhog Day are both great. I dont think Ive seen Ed Wood in its entirety so I don't really have an opinion until I rectify that.